It is currently Thu 2 Apr 2020 07:12 GMT
Change font size

Music

Radio 2 and Radio 1 - have we changed, or have they?

A place to discuss music.

Radio 2 and Radio 1 - have we changed, or have they?

Postby Dave » Fri 11 Nov 2005 14:58 GMT

Time was, not so very long ago, that Radio 1 was the bastion of the only decent music on BBC national radio (apart from Radio 3, and that played classical music which didn't really count). Radio 2 was full of fuddy-duddy stuff like Friday Night Is Music Night and that other early evening programme where they used to play all sorts of stuff on Wurlitzer organs - and of course Terry Wogan, Pete Murray, Jimmy Young and other older disc jockeys.

Getting back to the UK this year was a real shock to the system. Radio 1 was virtually unlistenable. Radio 2 was actually not bad for much of the time - especially since they've now got Steve Wright in the afternoon. Not quite as manic as he used to be, but still great fun. And it's not that they're just playing the same music that Radio 1 used to play; they are, but they're also playing contemporary pop and rock. What they don't play is all the drum-'n'-bass, hip-hop and rap which seems to dominate Radio 1 these days.

Funny, but I never expected to become a Radio 2 listener. "Hope I die before I get old" and all that. Now we're seriously considering sorting ourselves out so that we can get the webcast version of Steve Wright's show.

Have we just suddenly grown old overnight or something? How about you? Would you still listen to Radio 1 these days - in fact, do you? Or has it really gone downhill? (Radio 2 is now the UK's most popular radio station, which means it must have overtaken Radio 1 at some point in the '90s or early '00s. So I know what I believe - even if the UK's population is ageing. :wink: )
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Fri 11 Nov 2005 17:38 GMT

:shock: :shock:
I've always found radio 1 offensive to the ears. I've never been able to listen to it. Radio 2 always was a little "fuddy-duddy", but at least it mostly didn't abuse one's sensibilities.

I have another question on the subject; who was it that decided that such a wonderful medium as the radio should be relegated to simply pumping out music and adverts to the people? It is a perfect vehicle for talk shows, documentaries, dramas, educational programmes, yet all we get is non-stop music.
If I want to listen to music, I have CDs and tapes galore - and then I know it's what I want to listen to. I just think the whole radio scene is a massive wasted opportunity. We used to have a radio station in London (I can't remember what it was called now), who's mandate was that they didn't play music. It was a wonderful station but when their license came up for renewal, it was refused :(

Just my tu'penny's worth, but music I can easily arrange myself - and I don't have to listen to some DJ's inane patter. Topical conversation, news and fiction I can't.

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Dave » Fri 11 Nov 2005 17:52 GMT

Interesting question, Alan - one which I think deserves to be opened up more widely than this topic. :)

[Edited - I had thought to put it onto Chinwags, but had second thoughts. I've made another thread here instead.]
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Fri 11 Nov 2005 19:35 GMT

Maybe it is an age thing. At first I listened to Radio 1 because I liked it. Then I persevered with it, because I thought I should try to keep up. And finally I decided it wasn't worth keeping up with, and I accepted that I had reached a stage in my life when I knew what my music tastes were, so sod it.

Don't diss Radio 2. I wake up with Sarah Kennedy, and have Wogan with my coffee and first fag. Never mind the music, there is some clever humour from Wogan if you listen carefully and ignore the obvious.

Mike
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Return to Music