It is currently Mon 6 Apr 2020 05:44 GMT
Change font size

Music

Back into the swing of things...

A place to discuss music.

Back into the swing of things...

Postby Dave » Tue 14 Feb 2006 19:57 GMT

Having retired (at least notionally), I now find I've got much more time for things I've enjoyed doing but have been too busy for before.

Top of that list is playing the trombone. I was pretty good at school (Grade VIII distinction) but didn't keep it up too well at uni, and then when I started work it seemed as if I always had too much else to do to spend any time at all practising.

Then in 1996 Kay and I went to New York for a week's holiday. The perfect opportunity to buy a decent second-hand 'bone at a knock-down price. So I did. But I still didn't get much chance to play - again, too busy with other things. (Although there were plenty of people around with instruments - including a couple of brass players - so I did at least get the chance to play with other people every once in a while.)

Now that I don't have the distractions of working full time, I can devote more time to things like long notes and scales, tedious though they can be if your heart's not in it. And even after a couple of weeks, I feel as if I'm getting back to where I used to be - even if my lung capacity isn't what it was 20 years ago :twisted: - and I've got the time (and, thanks to the Internet, the capacity) to find out first-hand about technique, maintenance and other fiddly bits. All I really want now is to find some people to play with... but that may well be about to happen. :) And even if it doesn't right now, I could always stick an ad in the local paper...

So if you've played an instrument in the past, but think you've maybe left it lying for too long, don't give up on it - there's every chance that you can pick up again.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby SSue » Tue 14 Feb 2006 22:33 GMT

Good for you Dave, everyone should capitalise on any talents they've been given IMO.

Hobbies are things that you have to make time for, I know, and it's not always easy when we have busy working lives. We can't always summon the energy required to fulfil a hobby, however enjoyable that is.

In the last year I've taken up painting, (watercolour) a long time ambition, and one that I put on the backburner, for when 'I had the time'. I was surprised how easy I found it, and although I'm only starting out, I could easily better some of the paintings I found hanging in one of our local galleries. They would look good on a classroom wall, but with a price tag of over $500, it makes me wonder.......

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby Savannah_Alan » Wed 15 Feb 2006 23:49 GMT

Played properly, trombone is one of my favourite instruments. Good luck with the chops Dave :D .

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby ruggie » Sat 18 Feb 2006 17:10 GMT

A fascinating instrument. Never did more than learn the basic notes, and the 'Ory's Creole Trombone' slurs! What kind of music do you hope to play? And is it easy to buy (western, whether classical, jazz/swing or pop) music in Thailand or do you have to buy it from abroad?

Have fun!
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Music