It is currently Thu 2 Apr 2020 18:29 GMT
Change font size

Music

Smash that hit!

A place to discuss music.

Smash that hit!

Postby ruggie » Sat 10 Nov 2007 20:15 GMT

Anyone remember this BBC radio program? Listeners would call in with the name of a popular record (which the DJ would the0n play) and ask for it to be smashed, courtesy of BBC Sound Effects department, because it reminded them of some embarrassing moment.

So - what record would you like to see smashed, and why?
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Sat 10 Nov 2007 21:41 GMT

Brilliant idea, Ruggie. I'm going to suggest Kate Bush and Wuthering Hights. It's not that I don't like it - I think it's pretty good - but it's been an ear-worm for a few days and I'd like to get rid of it. :twisted:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sun 11 Nov 2007 05:27 GMT

I seem to remember it was a feature of DLT's weekend morning show. Hairy Cornflake, eh? :roll:

There are quite a few that I'd happily see eliminated. How about Little Jimmy Osmond's "Long Haired Lover From Liverpool" to be going on with?
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Sun 11 Nov 2007 16:09 GMT

Anything by the Osmonds is probably worth smashing!
How about the Bay City Rollers and their terrible poppy hits or David Cassidy and his (sickly) sweet as treacle love songs. I'm tempted to nominate Bryan Adams "(I wanna be) Your Underwear" "Rock me Amadeus" by Falco, "Muskrat Love" by Captain and Tenille, "Having my Baby" by Paul Anka (and basically anything else by Paul Anka, "My ding-a-ling" by Chuck Berry, anything by Englebert Humperdink, just because his name sucks and because he didn't actually write any children's stories himself. My overall nomination for the worst song ever which really should be smashed is: "Achey-Breaky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus which combines country with pop in the worst possible way, and which I was 'forced' to listen to while policing a country music festival at such high decibel I could feel it in my bowels (which is probably where it belongs).
Now, was that too much cos I have more :lol:
There's just so much crappy music out there to hate :roll:

Graeme :)
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sun 11 Nov 2007 16:24 GMT

Graeme wrote:Anything by the Osmonds is probably worth smashing!

Not "Crazy Horses", though, please! (Remember Donny with his overgrown stylophone doing the horsey sound?)

My overall nomination for the worst song ever which really should be smashed is: "Achey-Breaky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus which combines country with pop in the worst possible way, and which I was 'forced' to listen to while policing a country music festival at such high decibel I could feel it in my bowels (which is probably where it belongs).

With you all the way on that one! :evil:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Tue 13 Nov 2007 10:08 GMT

I'm going to go back a long way here:

Dickie Valentine singing 'Cherry Pink'. He had several top hits, but his voice was awful (and if you think Engelbert Humperdinck was a bit sleazy-looking, that's nothing compared with this fellow).

Next in line is Johnny Ray "singing" 'Cry'. The old beeb banned it for a while, in a losing battle to stop Rock 'n Roll wiping out the ballads but Johnny Ray preceded R&R. Later, they banned 'Heartbreak Hotel' in an attempt to set the boundaries of pop taste at the level of Bill Haley.

Makes you laugh when you look back. In those days, Guns 'n Roses wouldn't even have found an underground publisher.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Savannah_Alan » Tue 13 Nov 2007 17:37 GMT

The Birdie Song, Agadoo, anything by Chas'n'Dave - and anything that was on people's mind when they would come up to the stage and ask us to "whoop it up a bit" :roll:.

I once had an awful job playing solo piano on a ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge for a month. I spent the entire month playing Boogie Woogie because it was the only thing non-subtle enough to keep the "clientele" happy.
I came away from that job with a Ganglion cyst over the tendon in my wrist because of overworking my left hand. It took years to go away.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Dave » Tue 13 Nov 2007 18:18 GMT

"No Limits" by 2Unlimited
Anything by Stars on 45
"Baker Street" and "Never Let Her Slip Away" by Undercover
Any Christmas song by Cliff Richard
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Tue 13 Nov 2007 18:29 GMT

"If I said you had a beautiful body would you hold it against me?" (The song, I mean. It's not an offer! :twisted: )

I've no idea who sang it.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue 13 Nov 2007 18:31 GMT

The Bellamy Brothers. Vom! :vomit:

On reflection, perhaps I should have said any Christian song by Cliff Richard. Remember the so-called "Millennium Prayer"? :roll:
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby SSue » Tue 13 Nov 2007 23:58 GMT

''....someone left the cake out in the rain....." whatever that song is, I hate loathe and detest it.
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby Dave » Wed 14 Nov 2007 03:04 GMT

"Macarthur Park" - by Richard Harris (yes, the actor) first time round in the late '60s, then covered disco-style in 1978 by Donna Summer.

Richard Harris's voice really wasn't up to it!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Wed 14 Nov 2007 09:05 GMT

"Come on Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners. Dunno why, I've always hated that one.

James Blunt's latest (we listen to Radio 2 on the Internet). He sounds like a werewolf in pain in it.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Wed 14 Nov 2007 19:44 GMT

(One-eyed, one-horned flying) Purple People-Eater
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Music