It is currently Sun 15 Dec 2019 21:27 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Music

What was No.1 on the day you were born?

A place to discuss music.

Postby Kay » Tue 12 Aug 2003 14:52 GMT

His singing or the song????

Both. :D

The Oracle is a multi-talented being. Except for when it comes to finding things in the kitchen. Other than the drinks fridge, I don't think he knows where anything is. :wink:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Squiffy » Tue 12 Aug 2003 15:00 GMT

Kay wrote:
His singing or the song????

Both. :D

The Oracle is a multi-talented being. Except for when it comes to finding things in the kitchen. Other than the drinks fridge, I don't think he knows where anything is. :wink:

Good Man! :wink:
Squiffy - Laugh for MS - : http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby ruhappy » Tue 12 Aug 2003 15:06 GMT

Dave wrote:
ruhappy wrote:Mine was Tenessee Williams whoever he was!

Tennessee Williams? As in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof?

Or was it "Tennessee" Ernie Ford, as in Sixteen Tons?

Dave (showing not so much his age as the fact that his Dad had a reel-to-reel tape recorder)

I was having a craft moment I am afraid!It was of course the latter in Sixteen Tons! :oops:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
ruhappy
Free member

Postby HesitationKills » Tue 12 Aug 2003 15:21 GMT

My life theme tune (no 1 on my 18th birthday) was 'Pump up the volume' by MARRS which seems about right, but poor old Mrs HK gets dealt another bum steer with 'Especially for you' by Kylie and Jason 8)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
HesitationKills
Free member

Postby CustomStrat » Tue 12 Aug 2003 15:27 GMT

I had to do the Life Theme as well, being far too ancient...

My UK #1 was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly by Hugo Montenegro

My US#1 was Love Child by Diana Ross and the Supremes...

:vomit:
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby Rich » Tue 12 Aug 2003 15:59 GMT

Can't be bothered to reply to all seperatly, so you get a right old mish mash here!

Mine was Tenessee Williams whoever he was!

Cripes, even I now about the delights of Tennesse W, so perhaps i am older than that :shock:

please, moderator, could we have a "junior's only" board for people like Rich?

Cheers Granny, a very kind thought, although that means I wouldn't be able to use ruggie jokes to you all...

I guess the youngsters have more energy than some of us

So THAT's why your with Dave. His boundless energy :wink:

Except for when it comes to finding things in the kitchen. Other than the drinks fridge, I don't think he knows where anything is

I thought the kitchen was the thing with the drinks in :? There's nothing else there to find except ice and elk droppings

'Pump up the volume' by MARRS which seems about right, but poor old Mrs HK gets dealt another bum steer with 'Especially for you' by Kylie and Jason

Wow. memories of primary school disco's come flooding back.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby Kay » Tue 12 Aug 2003 16:07 GMT

ROFL!!!

School discos remind me of the boys lined up on one side of the hall and the girls on the other. When the teacher said to choose your partners the boys all stampeded over to our side. Dancing to "Step we gaily..." and the "St Bernards Waltz" was such fun. :wink: :roll: 8)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Squiffy » Tue 12 Aug 2003 18:26 GMT

Kay wrote:

ROFL!!!

School discos remind me of the boys lined up on one side of the hall and the girls on the other. When the teacher said to choose your partners the boys all stampeded over to our side. Dancing to "Step we gaily..." and the "St Bernards Waltz" was such fun. :wink: :roll: 8)

We never had discos in my school days, too busy dodging T Rex's and the like................. :P
Squiffy - Laugh for MS - : http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby chabrenas » Tue 12 Aug 2003 20:27 GMT

Hm-m-m-m. Well, I was born before They're Hanging Out the Washing on the Siegfried Line and Mademoiselle From Armentieres (unless they were WW I songs?), so I went for the Life's Theme (18th birthday, 1958) and got Marvin Rainwater's 'Whole Lotta Woman'. I remember that song, but it was one among many sliding up and down the charts at the time. I can remember Dave Brubeck's 'Take Five' being on the same jukeboxes - and in a moment of bravado, just before I left a cafe full of fairly rough characters I once selected the 'B' side - Blue Rondo a la Turk. I wasn't brave enough to stay and watch the reactions.
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Mike » Tue 12 Aug 2003 21:51 GMT

Kay wrote:
When the teacher said to choose your partners the boys all stampeded over to our side.

What a sad place Elgin must have been in nineteen-oatcake. In Peterheid, the girls stampeded to the boys' side . . . :evil:

Mike
Glaikit. Bit nae sae glaikit as a gollach wi a blin ee.
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Mike » Tue 12 Aug 2003 22:00 GMT

Apparently, mine is something by somebody called David Whitfield.

Sorry, but I can't be expected to remember. What I can remember is being at a primary school party, and being delegated to crank the handle to keep the ol' 78's turning.

I can also remember the first single I ever bought, but I'll save that for another thread. (Unless it's been done before - must trawl back - don't want to confess I don't read everything on here!) :wink:

Mike
Glaikit. Bit nae sae glaikit as a gollach wi a blin ee.
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby chabrenas » Wed 13 Aug 2003 20:29 GMT

Tennessee Ernie Ford - ah, the days when pop songs were ballads, with tunes and lyrics.

....Oh, St Peter don't you call me 'cos
I cain't go.

I o-owe ma so-oul
To the Company Store.

A propos of School dances: we were taught to bow and ask 'may I have the pleasure...' except for lineouts like Veleta and St Bernard's Waltz. But we did have a proper Last Waltz, and we soon swapped any pretence of doing foxtrots in favour of The Creep. And, of course, the Tango to 'Hernando's Hideaway'. Life wasn't that bad, really.
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Tim » Wed 13 Aug 2003 20:59 GMT

16 Tons was a great song, and very appropriate for a birthday 'another day older and deeper in debt...'!

It was The King both sides of the Atlantic when I was born - 'I'm All Shook Up' in UK and 'Let me be your Teddy Bear' in the US'. Probably explains my great pelvis action!

Tim
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Tim
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sat 16 Aug 2003 06:55 GMT

Just found out my "Life Theme" records. Neither of them very inspiring, I'm afraid:

UK: True by Spandau Ballet;

US: Beat It by Michael Jackson.

Still, at least I have a choice. Kay's (on both sides of the pond) was Don't Go Breaking My Heart by Elton John and Kiki Dee. :shock:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby chabrenas » Sat 16 Aug 2003 18:43 GMT

16 Tons was a great song

Agreed. And Tenesse Ernie Ford had a rich voice. I'm off to start a couple of new threads on the Ruggies board, rather than get too far off-topic here: Ballads, and Swing Bands.
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

PreviousNext

Return to Music