It is currently Fri 3 Apr 2020 12:01 GMT
Change font size

Music

First Single?

A place to discuss music.

First Single?

Postby Mike » Tue 12 Aug 2003 22:08 GMT

Show your age, folks, and confess . . .

The first single I bought was Little Arrows by Leapy Lee.

Shortly after realeasing his one-hit wonder, (Leapy) Lee Graham was banged up fpr GBH, and never heard of again.

I've often wondered if this was a reflection on my taste in music . . .

Mike.
Glaikit. Bit nae sae glaikit as a gollach wi a blin ee.
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby chabrenas » Wed 13 Aug 2003 05:01 GMT

Wondered who would start this thread.... Well done, Mike. My first single (78 rpm) was Eartha Kitt singing 'The Heel'. I bought it before I had a machine to play it on.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Kay » Wed 13 Aug 2003 05:47 GMT

Everybody Knows by The Dave Clark Five.

http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/paul/l ... ryb~2.html

That was the first one I bought with my own money. I seem to remember it was nearly ten bob, so it was a fairly major purchase.

I had some records before that but they were given to me. A red vinyl: When The Red Red Robin Comes Bob Bob Bobbin' Along, and some Elvis Presley stuff that my Auntie Jean gave me when she was clearing out a cupboard.

I was more into taping stuff off the telly and radio than actually parting with any cash for it. :P
Last edited by Kay on Thu 14 Aug 2003 05:44 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Wed 13 Aug 2003 07:03 GMT

First single?

Really not sure, but it was probably a charity record like Perfect Day (late 90's, not the original). That's not to say i'm REALLY young or not a music person, but I've just never bought singles. Out of close to 1000 CD's/tapes, I have less than 10 singles.

It started out that i wasn't prepared to spend/ couldn't afford to buy singles at about 3gbp each when you get current albums with allot more songs for 10. I still think that to a point, but now it's complete disillusionment with the whole single idea.

The meaning of singles is worthless these days, and the sooner they change the system, the better! Also, you have no need to buy a suingle because they play songs now for so long and so often before release that i'm generally thoroughly sick of them long before they are even released
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby HesitationKills » Wed 13 Aug 2003 08:37 GMT

'Cost of Living' EP by The Clash. And they're still my all time favourite band.

Joe Strummer R.I.P.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
HesitationKills
Free member

Postby Audrey » Wed 13 Aug 2003 11:19 GMT

Not sure, but I think the first single I ever bought with money I had earned was probably Gary Pucket and the Union Gap with Young Girl. It was definitely around that time if that wasn't 'the first'.
Posted by:
Audrey
Free member

Postby Kay » Wed 13 Aug 2003 11:29 GMT

Oh yeah! My cousin and I loved the song Young Girl. We used to sing it though a metal tube (can't think of the proper word - you know a hollow kind of railing thing on a bridge?) because we thought it made our voices sound better. :lol:

I don't expect the lyrics would be well received today, though. :shock:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Squiffy » Wed 13 Aug 2003 12:56 GMT

Ernie - the fastest milkman in the west - Benny Hill.

Kind of figures, eh? :lol:

squiffs 8)
Squiffy - Laugh for MS - : http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby Audrey » Wed 13 Aug 2003 15:44 GMT

Must admit I had never thought of it in that light before Kay, and you are quite right. That is probably why it is not played on the radio too much anymore either. Still a good song though!
Posted by:
Audrey
Free member

Postby justajester » Wed 13 Aug 2003 17:56 GMT

She Loves You by some obscure English group that was becoming popular... :wink:
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Victor » Wed 13 Aug 2003 17:59 GMT

Not sure. The first I remember buying was Elkie Brooks. Angie Baby I think it was. Still got it too.

Others included The Barron knigths with Live in Trouble (got to meet one of the singers recently).

I want to get (still) Jasper Carrots "Magic Roundabout"
Posted by:
Victor
Free member

Postby chabrenas » Wed 13 Aug 2003 20:07 GMT

She Loves You

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! That song always puzled me - I wondered if it was originally intended as a spoof, because both words and tune were so unsophisticated compared with the other songs they were writing at the time.
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Tim » Wed 13 Aug 2003 20:47 GMT

Rich wrote:
It started out that i wasn't prepared to spend/ couldn't afford to buy singles at about 3gbp each when you get current albums with allot more songs for 10.

That was always my theory too, though it was 10 bob for a single and £2.50 or so for an album. Or should I say £2.10.00 for an LP!? So I only ever bought one single in my life ever. And only because, as an adolescent at the time, I thought the lyrics were very environmentally sound and right on. I explain this because I cringe to say that it was 'Silvery Rain' by :oops: :oops: Cliff Richard! :oops: :oops:

Whoever started this thread has got a lot to answer for, making me admit that!

Tim
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Tim
Supporter

Postby Kay » Thu 14 Aug 2003 05:53 GMT

it was 'Silvery Rain' by Cliff Richard!

Oh dear. :oops: :lol:

Thinking about old Sir Leathery Neck, how about some of his lyrics?

Living Doll - I'm gonna lock you up in a trunk so no big hunk can take you away from me.

Mmm, very nice. :twisted:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Thu 14 Aug 2003 07:56 GMT

'Silvery Rain' by Cliff Richard!

I'm impressed you actually admitted it and didn't just say some Beatles/Stones etc song to hide your dodgy past!
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Next

Return to Music