It is currently Mon 6 Apr 2020 06:38 GMT
Change font size

Music

First Single?

A place to discuss music.

Postby Mike » Wed 27 Oct 2004 00:29 GMT

Great bump :)

This is the first thread I've started (apart from C-in-th-P, on which I'm OIC of bumping), which has been bumped. Omigoad, the prestige!

My second single, I'm afraid, was BOTW, by Smallman and Carbunkle. But didn't we all?

There followed a long period of taping crackly stuff from a cheap tranny powered by batteries pinched from my Granny's hearing aid, on to a deck to deck "borrowed" from the local primary school. One of the very few benefits of having a teacher for a parent.

I could write a book about DIN plugs. Sadly this extensive knowledge is pretty useless apropos today's technology :roll:

Mike
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Mojan » Sat 30 Oct 2004 05:53 GMT

Wasn't old enough to buy my own music when the parents brought home our first record player, a nice little red and white square box, really easy to operate. You just plugged it in, put the record on the turntable and put the needle arm on to the first grove in the record, and hey presto the dulcet sounds of Kathy Kirby singing 'Secret Love' (which was the record that they brought home with the record player).

My own first record was a Beach Boys LP which I played over, and over, and over, again.....our elderly neighbours must have known all the words off by heart by the end of that glorious summer in 1966(?)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Mojan
Free member

Postby Dave » Sat 30 Oct 2004 06:06 GMT

It wouldn't have been Pet Sounds, would it? A classic album, but trying to improve upon it helped push Brian Wilson towards a nervous breakdown. :(
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Mojan » Sat 30 Oct 2004 06:36 GMT

No, it wasn't that one. I think it was just called 'The Beach Boys in Concert' and I think it had a black cover (or could have been black and white striped).

I was back in the UK recently and one of the Sunday newspapers (I think it was the Sunday Mail) gave out a free CD every week and 'surprise, surprise' on week two that I bought the paper it was.......you've guessed it!
'The Best of the Beach Boys'.

All the original songs have been re-recorded by them in recent times and their voices sound better now than when then were younger (in my humble opinion).

However having said that, I have to admit my taste in music has changed since those heady days of the 60's
(although 'See my Baby Jive' by Wizzard still manages to get me singing along!)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Mojan
Free member

Postby spainboy » Sat 30 Oct 2004 11:46 GMT

You may find some old favorites

here sing-along with geoff
Posted by:
spainboy
Free member

Postby SSue » Sat 30 Oct 2004 13:43 GMT

Ooh lovely memories.....

I was fourteen when I was given a very smart blue and white Dansette record player for Christmas, and it was my pride and joy for years.

The first LP I bought was Crying by Roy Orbison, and all his others followed as they were released. Other favourites were The Bee Gees, Charlie Pride, Marianne Faithful, Elvis, Jim Reeves, The Beetles, Brenda Lee, and I've still got them all, and they still play well. I've also got a box full of 45's, but I can't remember off hand which was the first one I bought.

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby Dwarfie » Thu 9 Dec 2004 19:54 GMT

Nice to see this thread still going – I missed it back then

First single I bought myself with my hard earned babysitting money was “Gamblin’ Bar Room Blues” by the Sensational Alex Harvey Band. I loved it then and I still listen to it now. Alex Harvey is great.

First album I bought with my own money was “No More Heroes” by the Stranglers. Another one I still listen to now.
At first I only played it when I was babysitting because I thought my mum would bin it because of the swearing. She found out though when the 7 year old I babysat was heard singing “Bitching” – Oooops! :oops:
Oddly enough she didn’t destroy it - she just made some comment about me growing up and her not being able to stop me listening to “that kind of rubbish” anymore – and of course she told me not play it in front of children!
Posted by:
Dwarfie
Free member

Postby SSue » Fri 10 Dec 2004 05:14 GMT

Must be a huge generation gap here, as I've never ever heard of either the singers or the songs you've mentioned.

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Previous

Return to Music