It is currently Wed 20 Nov 2019 16:24 GMT
Change font size

Music

A nice find

A place to discuss music.

A nice find

Postby Dave » Tue 7 Apr 2009 06:25 GMT

Some of you may remember hearing about our German pal Walter, who we met at our local bar in its previous incarnation when it was just a shack. Sadly, he died last June - he'd had health problems for a few years.

He spoke German with a strong Swabian accent and very little English, so it was a bit of a struggle for us to understand each other at times. But we got on well together. He was a good laugh and a good friend to us. And despite being an ugly bugger he was strangely photogenic - he even made it to being our Pic of the Week back in April 2005.

One of his hobbies was making CD-ROMs of music, for himself, the bar and other people.

The other day I unearthed a couple of CDs he'd made for us (he'd written "My friend David" on one of them, which was rather touching) about three years ago. They'd been mislaid in a house move before we'd had the chance to listen to them, so I thought it was about time we found out what was on them.

One of them turned out to be a Credence Clearwater Revival's greatest hits compilation - very much up Kay's street, and I don't mind them either.

The other one is a much longer compilation (nearly 100 tracks) of all sorts of stuff! The first 50 or so are late '70s/early '80s disco and Europop-type stuff, but after that it goes back a few years. There are some real classics there - both of the genuine classic type ("Ring Of Fire" by Johnny Cash, "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Any More" by the Walker Brothers) and of the "OMG LOL remember this?" type ("Cinderella Rockefeller" by Esther and Abi Ofarim, "Congratulations" by Cliff Richard).

Anyway, a nice find, and a nice thing to remember an old friend by. :)
Last edited by Dave on Sat 29 May 2010 17:25 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Tue 7 Apr 2009 13:57 GMT

That's nice :lol: a good way to be remembered.

Graeme
:)
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Tue 7 Apr 2009 16:25 GMT

Good old Walter. His English was even worse than my German, but we got along just fine. Yes, it's nice to have this music from him. I still miss him.

I quite like some of the music. A lot of it is stuff we didn't already have. (Including stuff we'd never have bought. :twisted: )
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Music