It is currently Tue 19 Nov 2019 12:15 GMT
Change font size

Music

Michael Jackson

A place to discuss music.

Michael Jackson

Postby Dave » Fri 26 Jun 2009 10:44 GMT

I was sorry to hear about Michael Jackson's death earlier today.

I wasn't a big fan of his - I'm not that much into dancing (though you'd have to be blind not to recognise that he was a hugely talented dancer), I didn't enjoy his stuff after Thriller very much (though that was a great album, and Off The Wall wasn't bad either), and his lifestyle seemed to get weirder by the year.

But 50 is a hell of a young age to die.

Arguably he paid a heavy price for his talent, too, with the incessant media interest - although there were some suggestions (during the BBC news discussion I watched shortly after his death was announced) that at least part of that was deliberately fed by him. But on the other hand I do think he could be incredibly naive and child-like - and got into a lot of trouble because of that.

The world will be a duller place for his passing.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Fri 26 Jun 2009 10:58 GMT

I think he was hugely talented although he obviously had a flawed personality. I'm very sorry to learn of his death. :(

RIP
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby CustomStrat » Sat 27 Jun 2009 02:07 GMT

We give these artists and celebrities such iconic, almost quasi-religious status that we feel as if we know them and that they are part of our families instead of merely part of the soundtrack or backdrop of our lives.

I was shocked when someone put five bullets into John Lennon. I was shocked when Stevie Ray Vaughan's helicopter slammed into a hill. I was surprised at Michael Jackson's death because I assumed that with 50 concerts planned he'd be in good shape. Obviously not...

For all of his genius, and despite his popularity, he was obviously a deeply odd person with a lot of quirks and issues. I appreciated the music and the dance moves but I could've lived without the pathetic rest of it...
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Mick Jackson

Postby twoyorkie » Sat 8 Aug 2009 21:27 GMT

OK Guys......I was a presenter /DJ for 25 years in the home counties and after my immediate neighbour started letting out his 4 bed house .........well all was OK.....Scots,Welsh,Indian .......and then.....the scouse family,who had 2 CDs....1 was of coral music from ,I presume Paddys Wigwam and the othe was of MJ's greatest hist ....on repeat for 4 hours a day for 2 weeks .....OMG (I think thats the latest frasing)
Posted by:
twoyorkie

Return to Music