It is currently Tue 12 Nov 2019 06:10 GMT
Change font size

Music

What music are you listening to now/last ?

A place to discuss music.

What music are you listening to now/last ?

Postby gozomark » Wed 24 Feb 2010 16:14 GMT

I'm listening (and watching) The Killers Live From the Royal Albert Hall - a great live dvd from a great band :-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed 24 Feb 2010 16:45 GMT

The last thing we had on was a compilation CD of stuff from Radio Caroline playlists in the '70s - in other words, after they'd shifted moorings and gone and moored off the Dutch coast after the British authorities had chased them away.

A mixed bunch of stuff - some classics (the CCS cover version of "Whole Lotta Love" - more familiar as the Top Of The Pops music in the early '70s), some weird stuff ("Sebastian" by Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel), some rubbish ("Apache Dropout" by the Edgar Broughton Band).

Not bad overall, though. Besides, Disc 2 has "Radar Love" by Golden Earring and "Hocus Pocus" by Focus - both full-length. :-D
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Wed 24 Feb 2010 20:57 GMT

I too in recent weeks have been listening to Sebastion, in particular the live video off youtube, what passion Steve Harley gives, or maybe he is a bit more than half cut :lol:, C.C.S. "walkin" is another one i got earworm with recently.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby dave dee » Thu 8 Apr 2010 17:00 GMT

Racing cars, "they shoot horses don't they" . Thanks to Camilla and her recent activities for somehow reminding me of this classic.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby Dave » Thu 8 Apr 2010 17:17 GMT

My most recent listen was something that was in the charts 19 years ago when I was just starting work after finally leaving full-time education :oops:

YouTube: The Prodigy: Charly (original mix)

(Is it really true that Kenny Everett provided the voice of Charley the cat in those public information films? Wikipedia says so, but it's got all the hallmarks of an urban myth to me.)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Thu 8 Apr 2010 17:37 GMT

First time i heard that one Dave, quite enjoyable for a first listen, thanks for sharing, i didn't hear any music twenty years ago, too busy listening to orders from my wife and a few hundred others. :lol:
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Sat 10 Apr 2010 20:41 GMT

These days, most of the music I listen to is on CD after switching off the light each night. Always relaxing stuff, particularly after I got caught out by the CD player kicking off again when power returned at 03:00 after a cut caused by nearby thunderstorms - The Great Gate at Kiev is not a gentle awakening.

Since I tend to go to sleep by the third track, I skip more tracks each night until there are only three left, then choose a new CD. The current one is a Classic FM piano music album:
- Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata
- Chopin's Fantaisie-impromptu in C sharp minor
- etc., etc.

I have a couple of Miles Davis CDs that are consistently smooth enough for bedtime, but I'll be hunting for CDs of the following:

- Johnny Hodges, particularly Ballade for Very Sad and Very Tired Lotus Eaters

- Duke Ellington: Caravan

- Diahann Carroll and Andre Previn : Porgy & Bess. In the film, her voice was dubbed by a classical singer, but the record I remember is a jazz/blues treatment that she sings herself. I can't find any reference to it in articles about her, but I've found a couple of downloads (payable) of her with The Andre Previn Trio. They don't contain the tracks I remember best, such as It Ain't Necessarily So.

- I wish someone would release CDs of the radio show I used to listen to every Sunday night in NY State: Marion McPartland's Piano Jazz, in which she used to talk to a musician guest and play muisic. She used to rreminisce a lot, but I could never quite believe in the idea of this gentle, educated woman spending her youth playing jazz in NY clubs that I would only have visited under the protection of a group of locals.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby CustomStrat » Sun 11 Apr 2010 15:42 GMT

I'm currently in two musical modes, as it were... In the car I've been listening to a mixed CD that a friend prepared for me. He wants me to join his band, on flute, and the CD is a collection of tracks that he wants me to learn or "find" the flute lines in; Loggins & Messina, Sting, Peter Gabriel, Steely Dan, etc... At the very least it makes for a nice driving mix.

Otherwise, I've been into Stravinsky's Le Sacre du Printemps. I recently found an old cassette, in my collection, of it being performed by Herbert Von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic which has always been my favourite recording of this ballet. The cassette was pre-Dolby so I ran it into the computer and, with the help of Adobe Audition, did a digital remastering; cleaned up the hiss, eliminated some tape pops, expanded the stereo image, equalised and normalised, etc... The end result is so clear and dynamic, without in any way detracting from the original performance, that I think I may have to go through all my old cassettes for any other unavailable recordings to remaster... :D
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Sun 11 Apr 2010 17:50 GMT

Adobe Audition is beyond my skill level as well as my budget, but the spec sheet sounds impressive. I used to have an LP of what I suspect is the same recording of le Sacre du Printemps (Deutsche Gramophon, I think), so I'd be interested to listen to your remastering effort.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby CustomStrat » Mon 12 Apr 2010 01:49 GMT

Adobe Audition is a nice piece of mixing/editing software with a lot of very cool features and effects. I especially like how one can apply an effect and listen to a full length preview, tweaking the effect while listening, before committing to it. But the programme is a real system resource hog and a frequent crasher (although it will resume where it left off when it's restarted). For most things I find Audacity (which is a freebie) to be more than adequate.

I used to have it on LP, as well. I think it had a Matisse on the cover...? Mike, PM me your postal address and I'll send you a CD. :D
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby CustomStrat » Thu 29 Apr 2010 13:09 GMT

Hey Mike (or anyone else who's interested).

I took your advice and tried a large file online storage and uploaded LSDP (sent you a pm but don't know if you got it). Here's the link to Le Sacre as an MP3 @320kps:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/btw7xn
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Thu 29 Apr 2010 16:54 GMT

Downloaded and playing now. Think you'll find there is a limit to the number of days the file will remain up there, so I recommend anyone interested get cracking...
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby IWantToBeMaltese » Sun 30 May 2010 17:01 GMT

I'm listening to winter moods - everyday song that is on a video somebody made of Malta, Gozo and comino. It's very nice :) I recomend you watch it / listen to it I will post the link if a mod/admin says it's ok :D
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
IWantToBeMaltese
Free member

Postby Kay » Sun 30 May 2010 17:18 GMT

Sure, go ahead and post the link. Thanks for asking.

Members of our community are allowed to post links. We just get a bit narked when newcomers show up and dump junk on us, especially their "visit my website" type of links. That's really the point, we're a community not a place for people to dump their adverts.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby IWantToBeMaltese » Sun 30 May 2010 18:33 GMT

No problem kay an yeah I can understand why !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfaaQdXGLdE

ps some comments are from me can you work out which ones :D
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
IWantToBeMaltese
Free member

Next

Return to Music