It is currently Sat 23 Nov 2019 01:58 GMT
Change font size

Music

Robin Gibb

A place to discuss music.

Robin Gibb

Postby Dave » Mon 28 May 2012 18:20 GMT

Many of you will know that Robin Gibb sadly died earlier this month.

We ran a summary of the main newspapers' obits over on our sister site, britishpapers.co.uk. I hadn't realised how much of a role he'd played in their success - he always seemed to me to be somewhat in the shadow of Barry.

The obits were generally very complimentary (the FT especially so). Nevertheless, one of them did mention this, which I'd almost forgotten about:
Hee Bee Gee Bees: Meaningless Songs In Very High Voices

Very funny at the time - but on reflection, a bit harsh as they'd done several things before their falsetto era (and went on to do several things afterwards).

Not that that was so bad either - "Stayin' Alive" and "Night Fever" take me right back to when I was a 12-year-old at Forces boarding school in Germany - one of the best years of my childhood.

Anyone else got any favourite Bee Gee memories/songs?
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Thu 31 May 2012 16:41 GMT

Tragedy
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Thu 31 May 2012 16:44 GMT

Funnily enough, that's what Mike Read said. But since he was a friend of Robin's I don't think it was an intentional pun. I hope not, anyway. :?
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Thu 31 May 2012 17:00 GMT

yeh, well, when the feelings gone
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Fri 1 Jun 2012 14:12 GMT

He must have been young when they started, one of the first records i bought was New York mining disaster 1941, Even i was at school then, one of their first hits and still a favourite, Massachusetts is the best one for me though.
http://youtu.be/iz1YihpalAM

http://youtu.be/4XWYefe9EzI
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby Dave » Fri 1 Jun 2012 15:13 GMT

17 or 18 by the time they got to the UK in 1967, Dave - so presumably 16 or 17 when they recorded "Spicks And Specks" the year before. At which time I was one year old!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Fri 1 Jun 2012 16:32 GMT

'67 was the year i started my career, one year old? you missed out on the Sixties boom of a pop revolution and England world cup victory. Shame, was a great time to be a teenager, no money around but a great vibe. Glad the Bee Gee group were around to help spark it off.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby Graeme » Fri 1 Jun 2012 19:38 GMT

I was surprised he died, he only had a night Fever, night fever :wink:
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Return to Music