It is currently Tue 23 Jul 2019 02:31 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Becoming an Expat

need YOUR advice, pls - where to land ... ?

Here's a forum to talk about all the ins and outs of leaving the UK and launching yourself into the wide blue yonder - selling up, saying goodbyes, all that sort of thing. NB - this is NOT for country-specific issues; please post those on the appropriate country forum.

need YOUR advice, pls - where to land ... ?

Postby itchyfeet999 » Sun 30 Dec 2012 17:22 GMT

hi !

I need YOUR advice, please.

After thinking about taking the plunge for a number of years now, we've decided that 2013 is the year to go for it.

But … after having researched we're stuck as to where to set down some new roots.

Some background:

> Couple, mid-40s, one professional (IT Management for large corporate, 20 years experience) one homemaker (ex Teacher with over 15 years experience) with one young child (primary school age).

> Looking to relocate permanently to an English-speaking country (Canada, New Zealand, USA, Australia).

Why ? Well, "the grass is greener on the other side" isn't it ? ;-) But, seriously, bit of a rut here … not the quality of life we're looking at for ourselves or our child. Want more space and more time to spend with the family (so looking for better real estate value than in the UK and a slight down-shift in job - so I get to see the wife/kid each day).

What are your experiences ? Bearing in mind our age (may be a barrier for some countries ?), our child (they come first) and the desire for more (real estate space) at a cheaper prices (i.e. want to down-shift a bit) where should we aim for and why ? Canada ? New Zealand ? USA ? Australia ? Other ?

Many thanks for taking the trouble to read this - we'd really like your advice, Itchy_Feet
Posted by:
itchyfeet999

Postby Graeme » Sun 30 Dec 2012 18:46 GMT

Tough question, usually there should be some reason as to why you want to move to a particular country such as a job, relatives, a burning passion to live there etc. You might find some countries are a little easier to move to than others and some have better features than others. If you can afford it I'd suggest narrowing it down to one or two then take a vacation there (a fact finding mission) and see if you really do like it. I wouldn't move to somewhere I'd never been before (even though I did that) as there may be some difficulties in settling in and some obstacles you haven't thought about or encountered before.
I guess you need to get down to the books, get some research done, narrow the field and then make your choice. I'd suggest you not be too swayed by others as they either have an axe to grind or a place to sell and either way you won't get a very balanced
impression. Good luck
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Mon 31 Dec 2012 04:50 GMT

Hi and welcome to British Expat. :D

If you have a look at our Canada, Australia, etc forums, you'll see that there's quite a palaver involved in emigrating to these countries. There's a lot of hoops to jump though and usually a wait of several years while you live in limbo. I really don't envy anyone going through that process. It can be done, of course, we have several success stories on here.

Here's something you may not have thought about. Why not consider moving to Malta? English is widely spoken. Assuming you have British/EU passports, you don't have to go through a lengthy immigration process. Malta has quite a lot going on in the IT world. It sounds as though it could be ideal for you.

Have a look at our Malta forum:
http://britishexpat.com/expatforum/index.php
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby SteveGill » Mon 31 Dec 2012 07:47 GMT

Kay wrote:Here's something you may not have thought about. Why not consider moving to Malta? English is widely spoken. Assuming you have British/EU passports, you don't have to go through a lengthy immigration process. Malta has quite a lot going on in the IT world. It sounds as though it could be ideal for you.

Have a look at our Malta forum:
http://britishexpat.com/expatforum/index.php

I second Kay's suggestion. Almost everyone speaks English here (only person I've met so far that didn't was a plasterer working for my landlord) and it is the first language in most places - shops, restaurants etc. That's important as it makes you feel comfortable IMHO.

There are many flights here from the UK so you could pop over for a visit and see if you like it.

I think you'll get more for your money here and distances are relatively short between places. We also drive on the left so you could bring your UK car (although there is some red tape on that, have a look at the link Kay's given for more info).
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
SteveGill
Premium Member

Return to Becoming an Expat