It is currently Wed 24 Jul 2019 05:17 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Becoming an Expat

Renting out your home

Here's a forum to talk about all the ins and outs of leaving the UK and launching yourself into the wide blue yonder - selling up, saying goodbyes, all that sort of thing. NB - this is NOT for country-specific issues; please post those on the appropriate country forum.

Renting out your home

Postby Kay » Sat 18 Oct 2014 08:06 GMT

I read this story in The Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... t-pay.html

And it reminded me of the nightmare we had when we rented out our home several years ago. We made a website to tell the story.
http://www.trashedhouse.com

When people are moving abroad and say they'll be renting out their home in the UK, I'm always worried about it. I don't think we'd ever do that again. But if we had to for some reason, I'd take certain steps such as shifting all the good stuff into storage and buying other furniture etc, just for the purpose of renting.

I suppose you learn from your mistakes. I just hope that we can help others not to make the same ones.

Have you ever rented out your home? If so, what was your experience?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sat 18 Oct 2014 08:49 GMT

Shocking story. The landlords appear to have been either carelessly over-hasty or naïve when initially letting their property (not taking out insurance until two months after they'd let the property; not reading the small print), but I think the insurance brokers (Saga) should bear some of the liability for selling something that wasn't fit for purpose. I'm not surprised the insurance company wouldn't comment - it's nothing to do with them.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Becoming an Expat