It is currently Thu 2 Apr 2020 10:46 GMT
Change font size

Becoming an Expat

Reasons for leaving UK

Here's a forum to talk about all the ins and outs of leaving the UK and launching yourself into the wide blue yonder - selling up, saying goodbyes, all that sort of thing. NB - this is NOT for country-specific issues; please post those on the appropriate country forum.

Postby SSue » Thu 5 Jan 2006 10:07 GMT

Yes, I'm also intrigued Alan. :?

What happens if you have to leave your home to pick up kids say, then bring them home and go out again? What if no other route is available to you?

Think it's time you got out........and quick :roll:

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby kingfisher241049 » Thu 5 Jan 2006 10:38 GMT

[quote="Savannah_Alan"][/quote]

[edited by Site Admin. Please quote only as much as is necessary to make it clear what you're replying to. There's no need to repeat the whole of a long posting in the course of replying to it - it just means that people have to read the same thing twice over. There's even less need to repeat the quotations contained in the earlier posting, which could lead to people having to read the same thing several more times over. Please read and observe our guidelines. - DrDaveHPP]

Alan,

The police and intelligence community in the UK are as bad as the US. MI5 is famous for burgling houses and flats in London and the rest of the UK. GCHQ like the NSA listens in to phone/internet and other calls constantly. Its what they do Alan, every country is the same.

I have heard about the silly laws in most States of the US. What can youdo, except hope in time, they will be repealed. I think in many ways, the US is more progressive than the UK. Hell it took the UK over 20 years to get a simple Freedom of Information Act. The UK, (Tories especially) would block all reforms of the silly Official Secrets Acts, citing the old standby "National Security".

Every country has its good and bad points Alan, but I think the UK has more bad points than good right now.

Alan

The UK thinks more about the past than the future,
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
kingfisher241049

Postby kingfisher241049 » Thu 5 Jan 2006 11:05 GMT

Dr Dave,

Sorry about that, just my inexperience using the quote function.

No need to be all superior about it though OK!!

Alan
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
kingfisher241049

Postby Dave » Thu 5 Jan 2006 11:15 GMT

kingfisher241049 wrote:The UK, (Tories especially) would block all reforms of the silly Official Secrets Acts, citing the old standby "National Security".

I certainly hold no brief for the Conservatives - I've never voted Tory in my life. But in fairness, it was a Tory government (under Thatcher, no less!) that reformed the OSA in 1989 to get rid of most of the more stupid provisions of the 1911 Act. I wouldn't say that the current provisions are particularly onerous or excessive - indeed, there are now procedures in place to protect civil servant whistleblowers.

What worries me is that the present government seems determined to short-circuit proper procedures when these get in the way of what it wants to do. I've lost count of the number of times they've announced a new initiative, only to be pulled up short when Parliament protests that it hasn't been consulted. Not a new phenomenon, I know, but a far cry from Blair's promises of more open government.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby kingfisher241049 » Thu 5 Jan 2006 13:02 GMT

Blairs Government has certainly been very aggressive in what it wants to achieve.

They passed a Human Rights Act, then tried to find ways around it when it became inconvenient. Trying to by-pass Parliament is nothing new for Mr. Blair, and its a hopeful sign when Parliament shows its independence and holds Blair and his ministers to account.

I forgot about the changes to the OSA under Mrs T. :roll:

What exactly do you do for the FCO, if its not secret or anything?? :D Not mixed up with rogues at Vauxhall Bridge I hope LOL.

Alan
Posted by:
kingfisher241049

Postby Kay » Thu 5 Jan 2006 14:13 GMT

Alan Fisher wrote:

Sorry about that, just my inexperience using the quote function.

No need to be all superior about it though OK!!

We have rules/guidelines and everyone else manages to follow them. We've asked you several times to read them. Have you done so yet? The guidelines are there to make this place pleasant and comfortable for everyone - and they apply to everyone.

Inexperience with the quote function is not an acceptable excuse for breaking the rules. It's very easy to preview a message before you post it so there's no reason why you can't check and get it right before you post. We don't make the rules for the sake of it, they are all there for a purpose. Quite frankly, having to scroll down through a whole page and more of requoted earlier postings is a pain in the @rse. I don't want to do it and I'm sure that no one else does.

Could you please just take five minutes and read our posting guidelines? It would save us the work of cleaning up after you and you wouldn't feel like you were being corrected so often.

Go on - you know it makes sense.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby kingfisher241049 » Thu 5 Jan 2006 14:30 GMT

Now I know why I hate mixing with my countrymen/women so much.

Such superiority, such little reason for it.

You need'nt clean up as there will be no more of it.

Please delete my login/password, won't be using this medium again.

Cheers

Alan
Posted by:
kingfisher241049

Postby JayneR » Thu 5 Jan 2006 14:46 GMT

I'm going to backtrack here, sorry! The thread's moved on rather quickly since I first looked this morning but didn't have time to reply.

I had a quick look just after Savannah_Alan's reply to Kingfisher Alan's post and I had to agree with S_Alan - my gob had also been smacked ( :lol: ). I would never have imagined K-Alan was talking about the country I know as the UK, completely unrecognisable and as S-Alan said, perhaps due to a different persepective but even still such diverse perspectives are intriguing. :D
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
JayneR
Free member

Postby Savannah_Alan » Thu 5 Jan 2006 15:28 GMT

Ruggie wrote:That's an interesting one. Please tell us more.

Sue wrote:Yes, I'm also intrigued Alan. Confused

It's supposed to be about "cruising", which I assume to be similar to loitering, except with a vehicle. :roll:

Kingfisher wrote:I have heard about the silly laws in most States of the US. What can you do, except hope in time, they will be repealed.

Trouble is, this is a new law. They ain't repealing them, they're increasing them.

I could quote many laws here which my "European sensibilities" interpret as invasive and infringing on one's civil liberties. Not being a criminal, I try not to worry about them too much, but I'm very aware that an innocent situation could very easily escalate into something very nasty, or even deadly, as soon as a cop gets involved (especially if there is any hint of their ego being damaged).
I've seen this happen too many times and consequently just try to avoid both sides of the coin (criminals and cops) like the plague.

At the same time I'm aware that I'm a guest in their country so have the choice to live with it or go. I certainly can't change things (I can't even vote). Currently I'm choosing to stay. I would only say to people thinking that moving from the UK to the US for the sake of more personal "freedom", that they're sure to be leaving the frying pan for the fire. Don't confuse physical space with freedom - they're not at all the same.

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Purley » Mon 9 Jan 2006 17:04 GMT

I am not sure if anyone replied about it being illegal to drive up and down. The only thing I can think of is that its there to stop men (Johns) driving by where the hookers are. I have heard of that here. There is a particular street where young girls (hookers) walk and I have heard of men being picked up if they drive around and around.

I won't go into the reasons why I think I left the UK because its years and years ago and my recollections are not probably completely correct.

But one thing I will say is that I don't know if I could handle the traffic if I moved back. I suppose a person can get used to anything, but I absolutely hated barrelling down the M25 with bumper to bumper side to side traffic. It just seemed like everywhere we wanted to go involved thundering down some motorway or other.

The exception was that my son and his wife decided to go to Goodwood Festival of Speed. I have a friend who lives three miles from there and so we went together. On the way back we looked at the map - decided we couldn't face the motorway again and we went across country. Now that was a pleasant experience. I guess it was slower than the motorway, although every time we were on the M25 there was a sign that the traffic was not moving between Reigate and Godstone exits, so maybe it wasn't slower at all.
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Mon 9 Jan 2006 18:46 GMT

thundering down some motorway

If you managed that on the M25, count yourself lucky. Some wag once described it as the world's biggest parking lot.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby SSue » Mon 9 Jan 2006 22:20 GMT

Wrong!

Everyone in Sydney knows that the worlds largest car park is the Harbour Bridge...............thank God we've now got a the tunnel. :lol:

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Liberties etc

Postby yosser » Wed 11 Jan 2006 04:22 GMT

Just got back from London. Talk about Big Brother state. THere are CCTV cameras everywhere, Congestion charge if you enter the city centre before 6pm and monitors built into the roads (yes in the actual asphalt!) to monitor speed. If you are 1mph over you see a flash in the rear mirror and get a 90 quid ticket in the post. Also everyone I met was constantly whingeing about the weather, crap traffic, useless service and abysmal NHS despite financial injection. Despite all that I still love the place but seriously now think I made the right move crossing the pond...
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
yosser
Free member

Re: Liberties etc

Postby Savannah_Alan » Wed 11 Jan 2006 05:13 GMT

yosser wrote:If you are 1mph over you see a flash in the rear mirror and get a 90 quid ticket in the post.

Come on. 1mph over?? If that was the case, there wouldn't be a car moving that wouldn't get a ticket. I get the point you're making, but 1MPH over???
I'd still rather the machines do me for speeding though. At least you know where they are, there are far less of them and they're not likely to shoot you if you hurt their ego. :roll:

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Re: Liberties etc

Postby Dave » Wed 11 Jan 2006 05:18 GMT

yosser wrote:THere are CCTV cameras everywhere

Apparently (I think I saw the stat in the Independent while we were in the UK last year) the UK accounts for 20% of all the world's CCTV cameras. Pretty gobsmacking when you consider that it's got only 1% of the world's population and about 0.5% of the land area.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Becoming an Expat