It is currently Tue 16 Jul 2019 20:43 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Becoming an Expat

Paris or Amsterdam - which would you choose?

Here's a forum to talk about all the ins and outs of leaving the UK and launching yourself into the wide blue yonder - selling up, saying goodbyes, all that sort of thing. NB - this is NOT for country-specific issues; please post those on the appropriate country forum.

Paris or Amsterdam - which would you choose?

Postby juth99 » Sat 3 Feb 2007 15:22 GMT

My husband has been offered 2 jobs - one in Paris and the other in Amsterdam. We have done come calculations of tax etc and know that we would be better off financially with a move to Amsterdam but I wonder what the quality of life would be like. We prefer the climate of France but the cycling in Holland also appeals.

We have three children - the eldest is eight and we would prefer to live in the city - at least initially. We speak a little French but no Dutch.

What do members think.
Posted by:
juth99

Postby Alan-LaCala » Thu 15 Feb 2007 20:42 GMT

No one else can really choose for you, as we don't know you.

From my point of view, much as I love Paris to visit, I could not live there; on the whole I found the people very unfriendly.

Amsterdam was wonderful, and on a much more human scale.

Good luck with your decision.

Alan
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Alan-LaCala
Free member

Tough choice!

Postby jberryart » Sat 21 Jun 2008 12:40 GMT

Hi juth 99,

I'm new to the board. But I would like to weigh in my opinion.

I agree with Alan-LaCala that such an important decision is your alone to make. But I think that Paris has become a teaming behemoth of a city. I do not think that people are unfriendlier than in other large cities (eg. London, Berlin, Rome).

On the other hand Amsterdam offers a far greater standard of living. You have large parts of the city that restrict motorized traffic (so less noise and polution) and the people are very open and friendly.

I also believe, that more of them speak better English than the average Parisian.

Cheers!

Jen
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
jberryart
Free member

Return to Becoming an Expat