It is currently Mon 22 Jul 2019 15:50 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Becoming an Expat

i live in England....get me outa here

Here's a forum to talk about all the ins and outs of leaving the UK and launching yourself into the wide blue yonder - selling up, saying goodbyes, all that sort of thing. NB - this is NOT for country-specific issues; please post those on the appropriate country forum.

i live in England....get me outa here

Postby anth » Wed 16 Jul 2008 22:29 GMT

Hi all,
Brief introduction: My name is Anthony (34), Claire (29, Partner 9 years unmarried). We have Nathan (5) and Hannah (12 weeks) and I have a son Michael (10) from a previous relationship who we have every other weekend.

Concerned for our childrens future we want to emigrate and get out of this toilet for a country. we need to go english speaking for ease we feel, so the choice of 3 would be Australia, Canada, or the USA.

I have a hang up on Australia as i dont want to be too far from Michael as it will be hard enough for all of us. I have to however think of the two children who I have control of as they live with me. I have my mindset that hopefully in time Michael will understand that in doing this we are laying the foundation for his future also should he choose to do the same in years to come. Thinking this way is the only comfort I have. I wont rule out Australia though until all research has been done.

The main deciding factor will be which we can gain acceptance to.

I have been office based in the transport industry for 16 years now. I am currently a transport manager however 3 years ago I completed a plastering course and 1 year ago I completed a tiling course. I have worked evenings and weekend using these for extra cash and I'm competent with both. I have completed my business plan to set up as a sole trader as a tiler and plasterer alongside my full time job so I have accounts and documentation to suport the skill i have by the time emigration comes round. We accept it can take up to 24 months to happen which gives us tme to prepare. Claire is an auxiliary nurse with the NHS and her background before this was in care work with both the elderley and special needs children.

Which country would we struggle getting into with our background? Is there anything we can do in the next year or two to improve our chances. I believe the USA is the hardest to break into...is that so?

Any help is greatly appreciated even if it is negative as long as it is constructive however we are determined and will not be put off!

Many thanks

Anth
Posted by:
anth

Postby Kay » Thu 17 Jul 2008 04:37 GMT

Hi Anth

Welcome to BE and thanks for introducing yourself. Good luck with it all. You forgot New Zealand - and I'm pretty sure English is an official language of Malta.

From reading what's been posted on our country fora I've had the impression that Canada is very difficult to get into. No matter how well prepared you are - and you and Claire certainly seem to fit the skilled worker category - there's still a long wait. You have to be prepared to put your life on hold for up to four years! :shock:

We don't have much info about the USA because most of our competitors are based there, unlike us, so they tend to cover that angle better while we concentrate on other destinations.

Australia is fairly strict about who they accept too, but I'm not sure of the current immigration processing times.

Why not have a read of what's already there on our various country fora? (Links above beside the flags). You'll find that some of the issues you raise are discussed there - such as how long it currently takes to get into Canada. If you have specific questions which haven't been answered then feel free to ask.

If you could get over the language barrier, it's an awful lot easier to go to somewhere in the EU.

As you say, you'll need a lot of determination to go through this process - but lots of people do it successfully so it's within your grasp if you can jump through all the hoops. 8)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Becoming an Expat