It is currently Sat 20 Jul 2019 22:04 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Becoming an Expat

Do I Have To Pay For I-751 Form??

Here's a forum to talk about all the ins and outs of leaving the UK and launching yourself into the wide blue yonder - selling up, saying goodbyes, all that sort of thing. NB - this is NOT for country-specific issues; please post those on the appropriate country forum.

Do I Have To Pay For I-751 Form??

Postby San-Antonio-Brit » Thu 24 Dec 2009 00:41 GMT

Hi all,
I entered the USA as a conditional permanent resident in April '08 and paid over $2000 for an immigration lawyer to take care of the entire process. It was agreed that this fee would cover my entire application from beginning to end.
However, today I received a letter from U.S.C.I.S informing me that I need to send off the form I-751 to remove the conditions of my residence. When I looked online to see exactly what this entailed, I was shocked to see a $545 "filing fee" associated with submitting this form.
As usual, my lawyer is away from the office for the holidays, so I am unable to get in touch with him, and I wondered if any one on here knows if I still need to pay this fee, or whether my lawyer would have this covered with the initial amount I paid him for my application.
Surely to God I don't need to pay this $545 in addition to the $2000+ I paid my lawyer to DO all this for me??
Can anyone help, please... I'm extremely worried because DH and I are struggling financially at the moment.
Thanks in advance.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
San-Antonio-Brit
Free member

Postby Dave » Thu 24 Dec 2009 01:22 GMT

Hi, and welcome.

We have a board for US-specific questions on our In-Country Forum. You're likely to get an answer to your question more quickly if you post on there.

This board's intended for general questions about leaving the UK and becoming an expat rather than country-specific questions, so I'm locking this topic in the meantime.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Becoming an Expat