It is currently Tue 16 Jul 2019 14:09 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Becoming an Expat

Help me make the case??

Here's a forum to talk about all the ins and outs of leaving the UK and launching yourself into the wide blue yonder - selling up, saying goodbyes, all that sort of thing. NB - this is NOT for country-specific issues; please post those on the appropriate country forum.

Help me make the case??

Postby semaj72 » Thu 31 Dec 2009 14:43 GMT

Hi,

I am the lead on a project in the far east setting up a new factory, We are currently building in 2010 and starting production 2011. As you can imagine I have already spent a lot of time visiting about 1/2 weeks every 6 weeks over the past 12 months but I will be required to be there much more from mid 2010 onwards.

Options that have been discussed briefly are 3 weeks on 2 weeks off or Expat which would mean moving the whole family (Wife and 11 yr old son)

My feeling is that I would much prefer to Expat it I'm not sure my marriage could survive 3 weeks on 2 off and the long haul flights in economy would do my head in!!!

However I think my company are niave enough to think that the project will work well based on this system. What I really need is a list of expat renumerations that i can put a cost against and make a case i.e Salary (Is this normally based on UK + x% or local + x%??) What other things are normally included in an expat contract School Fees? Relocation ? Housing ? Medical etc, I,m looking for a full list with standard or exceptional terms that I can use to make my case and negotaite a contract.

Thanks in advance
Posted by:
semaj72

Postby Graeme » Thu 31 Dec 2009 17:57 GMT

It's possible someone on here can help you, but I think the first starting point would be to say which country in the 'far East' it is that you are thinking of moving too as that may have a large part to play in who replies.
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Return to Becoming an Expat