It is currently Mon 15 Jul 2019 22:45 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Becoming an Expat

my fiance is british, just laid off, can I get him here?

Here's a forum to talk about all the ins and outs of leaving the UK and launching yourself into the wide blue yonder - selling up, saying goodbyes, all that sort of thing. NB - this is NOT for country-specific issues; please post those on the appropriate country forum.

my fiance is british, just laid off, can I get him here?

Postby midwestgirl » Tue 23 Feb 2010 18:15 GMT

Hello, I am brand new to this forum. I jumped over from the UKyankee forum to here because my situation has changed a bit and they advised I talk to you guys! My fiance and I are due to marry on June 5th, 2010 in the states. I was going to move to the UK after the marriage, but just when it all was looking good, my fiance was laid of AGAIN! and now he is unemployed and has some savings. He is a commercial airline pilot. Bad times for all...I just graduated from college and will be pursuing my masters in education, which means I won't have a very significant income. My parents are doctors, pretty well to do, and could be good options as sponsors.

My two questions are:
1) what do we need to do in order to keep our wedding date for June 5th, and still get my fiance over here?
2) He is interested in an internship type program that would get him more hours flying so he could fly in the regionals. Could he stay in the states while he waits for his greencard and pursue this program in the meantime since it is unpaid?

I hope someone out there can help...I really appreciate these forums, they are real lifesaver sometimes. Thank you sincerely, in advance.
Posted by:
midwestgirl

Postby Dave » Tue 23 Feb 2010 18:29 GMT

Hi, and welcome.

This board's intended for general questions about becoming an expat rather than country-related matters. Since you're asking specifically about entry to the US, the best place for your question is probably the USA General information board on our In-Country Experts forum - try posting there. (I'm locking this topic in the meantime.)

Hope it all works out for you. Good luck!
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Becoming an Expat