It is currently Tue 16 Jul 2019 09:59 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Welcome and Getting Started

Please read this, especially if you are new to forums. It gives advice on how to post, acceptable use etc. From time to time we might post special announcements here too, so watch out for the orange flag!

Postby deepwater1 » Thu 15 Jun 2017 11:17 GMT

Has there been no new posts on this forum since March 2017 or is it my computer at fault?
Reverse Osmosis Filters supplied and installed from 199 euro
Posted by:
deepwater1
Premium Member

Re: Posts

Postby FOXGLOVE » Thu 15 Jun 2017 15:16 GMT

It's because you moved to Qala Dave!

Hope you are enjoying it.

Ray Pizer
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby deepwater1 » Sat 17 Jun 2017 07:04 GMT

love it Ray, hope you are both okay
Posted by:
deepwater1
Premium Member

Postby FOXGLOVE » Sat 17 Jun 2017 09:25 GMT

deepwater1 wrote:love it Ray, hope you are both okay

You have a wonderful view there, our is brilliant at our new penthouse but a lot different. We can see 11 churches and 9 villages from Victoria.

Have not posted on here simply because all the old regulars stopped posting for one reason or another and I would rather donate direct to SPCA than half to a forum with no active members, so cancelled subscription.

Ray
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby deepwater1 » Mon 19 Jun 2017 15:58 GMT

so no one is using the forum anymore!
Posted by:
deepwater1
Premium Member

Postby FOXGLOVE » Tue 20 Jun 2017 06:59 GMT

Maybe if we keep posting others may join in !
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby DavidH » Tue 20 Jun 2017 07:11 GMT

I would hope that new arrivals, or prospective arrivees, still are as there is so much invaluable advice here. I suspect that one of the problems may be that there are a lot less of those. Brexit and the state of the Pound has largely put paid to that. I was talking the other day to one of the local landlords who has property both for sale and to rent and he said that until now they relied quite heavily on the British coming over and that just isn't happening as it did. How true this is I don't know but there is certainly a lot of property for sale around us.
'Don't cry because it came to an end, smile because it happened.' - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Thank you for our lifetime together.....In loving memory of Chris Green
Posted by:
DavidH
Supporter

Postby FOXGLOVE » Tue 20 Jun 2017 16:13 GMT

Most of the rental prices have gone through the roof, even in Gozo. I know of one property that went from €650 to €1200 when renewal was due! There are still some sensible, decent landlords but even they get pressured by Agents who see more commission.
As for this expat site, unfortunately, many new and would be arrivals seem to use 'the other one' and there are even fewer long term members on either! Indeed I know of three who have moved on to Cyprus to get away from the increasing overcrowding in Malta and the lower rental prices for better built properties.
There still seem to be a lot of new expats but not so many retirees. Many seem to just want to do as little work as possible but in the sun! Many even asking what benefits they can get!

Ray
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby Kraut ;-) » Sat 30 Sep 2017 08:37 GMT

Empty flats but high rental prices? I intend to buy something in Gozo and I am wondering if I could still get something reasonable.

I thought people are still leaving Gozo and prices should consequently go rather down than up.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Kraut ;-)
Supporter

Postby FOXGLOVE » Sat 30 Sep 2017 09:44 GMT

Kraut ;-) wrote:Empty flats but high rental prices? I intend to buy something in Gozo and I am wondering if I could still get something reasonable.

I thought people are still leaving Gozo and prices should consequently go rather down than up.

Prices are going up not down as a result of prices escalating in Malta!

Not sure where you heard that people are leaving but it is more like the opposite.

Either way I would not buy as it is very, very difficult to sell again should your circumstances change without taking a big loss.

Many Maltese property owners who are selling won't drop the silly prices they are asking because they don't need to sell. If there is an expat who has bought and suddenly finds he has to leave the islands then you might pick up a bargain.

Ray
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Return to Welcome and Getting Started