It is currently Sun 18 Aug 2019 23:12 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Residency status and immigration issues

Bankrupt - can I still live and work in Malta ?

Permanent Residency, Ordinary Residency or Temporary Residency? It depends on your financial circumstances, not on how much time you will spend in Malta. Getting it wrong could cost you dearly!

Bankrupt - can I still live and work in Malta ?

Postby GozoDreams » Thu 26 Feb 2009 15:40 GMT

Hi

Not sure if this is the right section to put this, apologies if not.

Can anyone advise if a person who has been made bankrupt will have this held against them when applying for residency and wanting to start their own business in Malta?

Thanks in advance
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
GozoDreams
Free member

Postby gozomark » Thu 26 Feb 2009 18:00 GMT

time for my favourite question :D

are you an EU citizen ?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby GozoDreams » Fri 27 Feb 2009 00:04 GMT

Hi Mark

Yes, sorry I should have said. I am EU citizen born and bred in UK. My parents moved to Nadur 5 yrs ago and myself and hubby are considering moving over too as we both love it over there. I have quite a lot of debts and unfortunately got made redundant last November. CAB are advising bankruptcy but I don't want to go down this route if it will hamper our moving to Gozo.

I should mention also that hubby is now also facing redundancy and will be getting quite a big payout hence the moving to Gozo whilst we have the opportunity.

Any opinions? thanks.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
GozoDreams
Free member

Postby gozomark » Fri 27 Feb 2009 06:47 GMT

sorry to hear of all your problems.

As an EU citizen, you have the right to live in Malta

http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/ ... hp?t=21120

Rights of EU nationals

EU nationals have the right to reside in Malta if they are exercising any of their Treaty rights as workers, self-employed persons, economically self-sufficient persons or students

you also have the right to work here - from the same link

Employment/Self-employment

EU nationals and their family members can:
o accept offers of work and seek employment in Malta;
o work (whether as an employee or in self-employment);
o set up a business

as for how bankruptcy would impact this - I'm out of my depth, and I would really recommend you speak to an accountant in Malta to confirm this (you can find plenty by googling - there is also one on the recommended suppliers forum who several on this forum have used, including myself http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/ ... =suppliers ).

Having said that, I doubt it would affect your residency rights - there are some allowable reasons for a state to refuse citizenship to an EU citizen, but they are very restricted - eg on the grounds of public health. Setting up a business - I'd expect any restriction to be the same for you as for a Maltese citizen in the same situation - I don't know what that would be
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Fri 27 Feb 2009 07:21 GMT

BTW - have CAB said anything about your husband's redundancy payout, and your eligibility to declare bankruptcy ?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby GozoDreams » Fri 27 Feb 2009 22:47 GMT

Thanks for the info Mark, I will obviously make some more enquiries.

CAB didn't mention about hubby's possible redundancy but have another meeting with them the middle of next month so will discuss everything with them.

Thanks again.
Posted by:
GozoDreams
Free member

Postby Mr Kriss » Mon 2 Mar 2009 13:11 GMT

Gozodreams,

I am also out of my depth here but you may find this link useful

http://ec.europa.eu/civiljustice/bankru ... mlt_en.htm
Chris :compucoffee:
Join the British Expat lending team at Kiva: http://www.kiva.org/team/britishexpatcom
Posted by:
Mr Kriss
Supporter

Return to Residency status and immigration issues