It is currently Tue 23 Jul 2019 03:18 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Where to live in Malta or Gozo?

Where in Malta

Can't decide where on the islands to live? Find out more about the best and worst places here!

Where in Malta

Postby rachal1084 » Sun 9 Mar 2014 21:08 GMT

Hello

Before I start I realise that I probably won't give enough information or I wouldn't have thought things through properly but I really am just looking for advice, sorry if my thread annoys anyone, having experience of this before I know that I will get negative comments regarding my naivety.

So here goes..... The same old Cliche really my Husband and I and our 2 year old son are looking for a life in the sun, I spent 10 years on and off living in various places in Europe these include Turkey, Marbella, Benidorm, Malta and Portugal and my heart has always been living overseas, I prefer the lifestyle than the UK, I do understand that the grass isn't greener but the sun is brighter which makes me happy, one of the main reasons for wanting this move is I want my son to have a quality of life, we have no family here in the UK so looking to make a life for him abroad.

We have savings so we are able to rent somewhere first and either find jobs (I realise this is not easy) or lease a small business either way we are happy in the knowledge we are survivors.

What I am struggling with is where would be best to bring up my son, and although I have researched I have no clue about schooling I understand that most Brits send there children Privately but I am concerned of the cost to do this, or are their alternatives?

Obviously we would want somewhere with a low crime rate and would like somewhere Coastal, any suggestions of areas we would be most grateful as we are shooting in the dark,

Thank you in advance
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
rachal1084
Free member

Postby Playbyte » Sun 9 Mar 2014 21:44 GMT

Hi Rachal1084

We also live in lincolnshire and have been doing a lot of research pending a move to Malta which is now imminent.

I have found this forum to be very informative and sometimes duplicated depending on how the question is asked, but I have always found it to be very useful and it generates other thoughts that were previously not considered.

We are due to go over in April for our final month of research for where to live probably ending up in Gozo because we are a retired couple and looking for the sun to while away our remaining days lol.

If you haven't become a premium member it is worth the few pounds as there is some very useful links in the premium section that we keep on referring back to.

Anyway, good luck with your research and decision making I hope it works out for you. Please feel free to contact us on PM.

Roger
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Playbyte
Free member

Re: Where in Malta

Postby gozomark » Mon 10 Mar 2014 07:45 GMT

rachal1084 wrote:What I am struggling with is where would be best to bring up my son, and although I have researched I have no clue about schooling I understand that most Brits send there children Privately but I am concerned of the cost to do this, or are their alternatives?

Hi - I'd say most Brits in Malta send their kids to state schools

rachal1084 wrote:we would want somewhere with a low crime rate and would like somewhere Coastal

good news is thats practically everywhere in Gozo and Malta :-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby rachal1084 » Mon 10 Mar 2014 15:15 GMT

Thank you Roger for your helpful reply, I will for sure look in to the premium service as this is something we can't go into lightly because of our young child, it certainly seems after much more research that Malta ticks all the boxes for us! mainly because of the hospitals and Schools which seem to both have outstanding reports.

I will be sure to keep my eye out on your Journey and thank you for the offer of messaging you that's very kind and will keep that in mind.

Hope all goes well in April I bet your very excited now :)

Regards :)
Posted by:
rachal1084
Free member

Postby rachal1084 » Mon 10 Mar 2014 15:18 GMT

Hi

Thank you for your message, good news that Brits are using State Schools as that's what I would like, and love the fact that the crime rate is low :) thank you again for your message :)
Posted by:
rachal1084
Free member

Postby Nays » Wed 16 Sep 2015 13:57 GMT

I am living in Malta and considering the move to state school as private is getting too expensive .......What was your experience re: state schools....thinking of Mellieha/ st Pauls or
Naxxar...would appreciate any info . Are there a lot of British students or not as I am worried about playground time.
Thks
Posted by:
Nays

Postby billyc » Wed 7 Oct 2015 13:24 GMT

I'm not too fond of these private schools. They are too concerned with rules and uniform, where it's hampering the kids IMO I bought this [Edit: link removed] for my kid to use for carrying her things to school, but they said it didn't go with their policy. blah!

[Please note, new members are requested not to post links except to government bodies or similar.]
Posted by:
billyc

Return to Where to live in Malta or Gozo?