It is currently Mon 19 Aug 2019 04:29 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Where to live in Malta or Gozo?

British living in Malta (where to stay)

Can't decide where on the islands to live? Find out more about the best and worst places here!

Postby boogiewoogie » Thu 2 Dec 2010 22:49 GMT

Kay wrote:Left-handed? That sounds very sinister.
:mrgreen:
A comment I imagine which would have been whizzing over the top of OP's head.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
boogiewoogie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 3 Dec 2010 11:58 GMT

Too true. Not everyone has the benefit of an old-fashioned Scottish education. :twisted:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby boogiewoogie » Fri 3 Dec 2010 12:14 GMT

Quite! Although not sure I qualify either but it was better than they have now. Anyhow, you are back! You have power! Welcome home. We missed ya. :compucoffee:
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
boogiewoogie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 3 Dec 2010 12:22 GMT

Thanks, Quine. Aye, it's a sehr fecht, but at least I gave him a good thrashing at Scrabble today. :twisted:

I expect you're too young to remember how it was in Scottish schools in ye olden days. :D Compulsory Latin and all that.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby stuartd1 » Fri 3 Dec 2010 13:11 GMT

And the belt!! Carefully crafted with a sharp ridge at the end to strip the skin off your wrists!!
Regards,Stuartd1
Posted by:
stuartd1
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 3 Dec 2010 14:23 GMT

LOL, Stuart, some of our teachers had metal tips on the end of the "tash" as we called it. And most carried the evil weapon in the sleeve of their black gowns. I kid you not. :shock:

To be fair, there were some teachers who never, ever used it - a stern look was enough from that type. The word "respect" springs to mind.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby boogiewoogie » Fri 3 Dec 2010 17:34 GMT

didn't have the belt in my school although DH did and he is younger than me but I would have liked to have had option to do Latin even if it did end up being another thing I wasn't that good at. There is a campaign to bring it back at the moment (but no doubt just in England & Wales) but not sure who would be teaching it.
Posted by:
boogiewoogie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 3 Dec 2010 18:08 GMT

I didn't know about the campaign to bring back Latin - have you got any info to share?

As for the belt, most parents would probably ask, "What did you do at school today, dear?" I always used to get asked, "How many times did you get the belt today?" I was so used to it I developed some kind of immunity, as I said, a stern look from someone I respected was a much more effective punishment. I just used to laugh at the belters, which they didn't seem to like very much. :twisted:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby boogiewoogie » Sat 4 Dec 2010 16:42 GMT

My dad only had to look at me in THAT way and I knew to stop whatever it was, terrifying man my dad but he never hit me. Bark was most definitely worse than his bite. Anyway as for Latin, I heard about it vaguely at some point and then it was mentioned on HAve I Got News For You briefly as Ian Hislop and Boris Johnson are two of the celeb supporters which caused a bit of mirth that they finally agreed on something. That is about all I know but I will have a wee google and come back to you. Like I say that probably means England and Wales, us Scots being different.
Posted by:
boogiewoogie
Supporter

Postby boogiewoogie » Sat 4 Dec 2010 16:46 GMT

there you go http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/184 ... in-schools
and here is the press release politeia.co.uk/p116pr.pdf
Posted by:
boogiewoogie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sat 4 Dec 2010 17:10 GMT

I had the chance to learn Latin when I was at a Forces boarding school over in Germany - but as an after-school activity rather than a scheduled lesson.

Then I went to a public school in England and had the choice of doing either Latin or Spanish. I chose Spanish, which in some ways I regret - Latin's had so much influence on the development of other European languages that it would have helped my philology studies no end.

But that's the ignorance of youth for you, and at least my Spanish came in useful in a very practical way once, when Kay and I were stranded with no local currency on a Venezuelan island. I don't think Latin would have done the trick, even if there had been a priest handy. :twisted:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sat 4 Dec 2010 17:28 GMT

Thanks for the links. Ooh, teaching it in primary school. We only got languages in secondary. Pity really, it might have been easier to learn when younger. I've never been much good at languages. Everyone has their own aptitudes and talents and unfortunately languages ain't one of mine.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby boogiewoogie » Sat 4 Dec 2010 18:26 GMT

they teach languages from Primary now, allegedly. DS has hello, goodbye and good morning children in French. He is only 5. But let's just say they aren't going to be changing the British stereotype just yet. I know my friend went on a course to improve her French before she could become the "expert" for her school, and her French was no better than mine before she went on it and only marginally better once she did. I scraped through my O grade from recollection. I do think the window for learning languages is when younger though, much easier if you get the foundations then. I am great at learning languages up to a point and then I hit a grammar wall - sadly very early on.
Posted by:
boogiewoogie
Supporter

Postby Chui » Sun 8 Sep 2013 21:56 GMT

this thread had me in tears. Wonderful. :-)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Chui
Free member

Postby steveclv » Mon 23 Sep 2013 22:38 GMT

Wow, someone was digging hard :)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
steveclv
Free member

Previous

Return to Where to live in Malta or Gozo?