It is currently Sat 24 Aug 2019 13:32 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Where to live in Malta or Gozo?

Best place near/around Victoria Gozo

Can't decide where on the islands to live? Find out more about the best and worst places here!

Best place near/around Victoria Gozo

Postby doracina » Tue 5 Mar 2013 18:36 GMT

This is my first post so a big hello to everyone! :D

We have decided to take the jump and move to Malta. Well actually we decided that Gozo might be better for us. We will be moving with a 6 and 7 year old and from what I ve found out I think that the school in Victoria might be what we are looking for.

So my question is when we come over in a couple of months for a look round what areas around Victoria are we better looking at? I would rather have some feedback from people with experience of this area rather than us stumbling around blind. :?

Thank you x
Posted by:
doracina

Postby gozomark » Tue 5 Mar 2013 22:33 GMT

Hi, and welcome to the forum :-) the old part of Victoria is very nice, but parking is a big problem, so partly depends if you will have a car. If you have a car, you can get to Victoria in 10 minutes from anywhere on the island, and the bus service has improved dramatically in the last few years.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

no car

Postby doracina » Wed 6 Mar 2013 08:05 GMT

Thanks Mark,

I think from what ive read about the roads and small street (i think i drive a tank) :oops: we were not going to bother having a car. We could always get one later if needed.

Is there anywhere better suited to young families then? Would we be better staying in Victoria? I dont mind being a bit 'out of the way' but Iam very aware that I still need to keep the kids entertained and get the too and from school easily enough.

:?
Posted by:
doracina

Postby gozomark » Wed 6 Mar 2013 08:16 GMT

If no car, then Victoria is a good place to look. I wouldn't narrow down your options too much before you arrive, but with young kids I'd probably exclude Gharb, Ghasri, Zebbug. Spend a few days going round the island and you will quickly get a feel for what towns and what type of properties will suit you.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Red » Wed 6 Mar 2013 08:29 GMT

Hi doracina,

Welcome from me too.

Victoria is central and has the bus station, therefore everywhere is accessible from there. Best value food store is there too (imo). However, because it is the capital, it is very anonymous. There are many child friendly villages within a mile or two. I would think twice about not bringing a car (if you have owned it for over two years), especially when you consider doing the family grocery trips, or getting around Malta to do the same, with a young family, but that is just my opinion. One food store I know in Victoria will deliver groceries if the order exceeds €50, and I expect others offer something similar.

Take a peek at Xaghra, Kercem and Sannat, for a start.

All the best whatever you decide.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Red
Supporter

hmmmmm,

Postby doracina » Wed 6 Mar 2013 09:12 GMT

Thanks for the reply's guys,

Now doubting the car :roll: Maybe i should bring it. LOL

The advice on areas is brilliant it give us a starting point on our visit, just want it to be all done and us on our way to stay! :D
Posted by:
doracina

Postby Dave » Thu 14 Mar 2013 17:47 GMT

Thanks for signing up for Premium Membership, Doracina - hope the visit goes well. :-D
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Yeeehhhhh

Postby doracina » Thu 14 Mar 2013 18:33 GMT

Thank you Dave! :D

I thought it might take a coupe of days, so now Iam official Iam going to spend tonight looking through everything. :lol:
Posted by:
doracina

Postby Brightside » Thu 14 Mar 2013 22:48 GMT

Gharb or Qala? I currently have an apartment in Gharb but some Gozitans have recommended Qala. I am moving out permanently when i retire in September (I am a single male)...I will be looking to buy a house ......any Qala residents got opinions? Is it the place to be?With the new Gozo minister living there, Qala could be the place!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Brightside
Premium Member

Postby gozomark » Thu 14 Mar 2013 23:05 GMT

Qala is a very nice village but this could all change if the development of Hondoq gets the go ahead. If it did could be years of construction traffic
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Magic » Fri 21 Jun 2013 11:20 GMT

I too have heeded the warning about Hondoq just in case. i was looking firstly for Gharb/St Lawrence or Nadur/Xahgra but after spending 12 days looking at scores of places, have ended up in Xewkija, walkable distance to Victoria (and cheaper!), I will be just off St Johns Street. I saw some nice places in Qala but had doubts about the potential for development. one thing is for sure in Xewkija, there aint gonna be any development there. The one other place I really like is Fontana, right on top of Victoria, the only downside I could find was the late night weekend noise from retuning traffic from Grotta.

Love the Island Love the people, can't wait to move now
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Magic
Free member

Postby gozomark » Fri 21 Jun 2013 12:00 GMT

Magic wrote:. one thing is for sure in Xewkija, there aint gonna be any development there.

a lot of new developments are existing houses knocked down and rebuilt as apartments
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Magic » Fri 21 Jun 2013 12:10 GMT

Actually, you are right Mark, my next door neighbour is Maltese and just about finishing the redevelopment of the house. After a good chat with him, it is for long let rather than "weekenders" which is a massive plus and something to be considered.

I looked at many penthouses and apartments but failed to find any development that was not occupied part time at weekend by the Maltese, hence the switch to a house in an established area
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Magic
Free member

Return to Where to live in Malta or Gozo?