It is currently Sat 24 Aug 2019 14:48 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Where to live in Malta or Gozo?

Xewkija,Gharb & Sannat

Can't decide where on the islands to live? Find out more about the best and worst places here!

Xewkija,Gharb & Sannat

Postby maddsoda » Wed 12 Jun 2013 17:50 GMT

Hi all,well finally things seem to be going in the right direction and we should be heading out to Gozo in the not so distant future :) .

I have been sent several properties in the areas above, which seem very nice but wondered if anyone could give me an idea what it is like living in any of the places and if there is anything that would make one be better than the others.

we have seen other areas which are nice but three properties stand out in the above areas more, we will obviously be out having a look ourselves but would like some views from people who know the areas.
thanks for any help x
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
maddsoda
Premium Member

Postby JJ » Wed 12 Jun 2013 20:21 GMT

Keep clear of Sannat! It's full of nutters and weirdos like the hippy in the big house on the old square and the solitary geek in the penthouse near the cliffs.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby gozomark » Wed 12 Jun 2013 20:30 GMT

JJ wrote:Keep clear of Sannat! It's full of nutters and weirdos like the hippy in the big house on the old square and the solitary geek in the penthouse near the cliffs.

:crackup:
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby mickh911 » Wed 12 Jun 2013 20:35 GMT

We like xewkija for its central location, their are several shops less than 5 minutes walk from the house, Victoria less than 5 minutes drive, the coastal resorts 10 minutes max drive in all directions
when we first came to the island we had an apartment in zebbug, stunning views of the valley and sea beyond, we regretted it the first winter, watching force 9 winds bending the glass in the patio doors was not funny, nice in summer, hell in winter, gharb and sannat are OK but personally i think xewkija has more facilities and we find the locals more open & friendly
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
mickh911
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 12 Jun 2013 20:40 GMT

Any comparisons are difficult to make, as different parts of each village can be quite different, particularly with Gharb. I wouldn't worry about it before you get here - look at properties with an open mind as to which village they are in (just avoid Marsalforn)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby maddsoda » Wed 12 Jun 2013 20:49 GMT

Sannat sounds great for us then if it's full of nutters and weirdos, we will fit it brilliantly :-).

We will obviously look round them all and take time to look around the areas, but it is interesting to get people's points of view as if you live somewhere you know far more than a couple of visit's to an area before buying.

the gharb one is on the outskirts or so it says, so i believe we would have nothing around us great for the dogs not so good for food shopping. xewkija is in the old part and the other one not sure and sannat who know's think i may have to get directions from the hippy or the geek :)
Posted by:
maddsoda
Premium Member

Postby JJ » Wed 12 Jun 2013 20:59 GMT

As to Għarb, it's pretty small so despite the <checks topic to see if he can name names> up-and-coming chain supermarket forcing two of the other three out of business you can't be much more than about five minutes walk from a small supermarket and ten from the bigger one. My experience of Għarb was that it's dead in winter (not a problem if you have a car) and the central or newer part is full of screaming holidaymakers in the summer.
Posted by:
JJ

Postby maddsoda » Wed 12 Jun 2013 21:17 GMT

Cheers JJ, i don't know all it says is far outskirts of gharb - shops far off and from the views from the house i can't see anything but sea 1 way and fields the others , so if we go for that 1 i can be the mad recluse from gharb lol
Posted by:
maddsoda
Premium Member

Postby JJ » Wed 12 Jun 2013 21:25 GMT

They might mean Santa Pietru then, which is hamlet on the outskirts of Għarb on the loop to San Lawrence, and is indeed a bit of a walk (like ten minutes) from Għarb itself. A very nice place if a bit remote, and does at least share the same hourly bus service as its neighbours.
Posted by:
JJ

Postby maddsoda » Wed 12 Jun 2013 21:35 GMT

Ok thanks , I will find out the address as i am interested now as to where it is and obviously we will know once we get looking around.
Posted by:
maddsoda
Premium Member

Postby FOXGLOVE » Fri 14 Jun 2013 06:59 GMT

We live in one of the last houses as you leave Gharb via Santa Pietru and at the moment the only problem is the road diversion sending all the tourist and quarry traffic past our front door instead of through San Lawrenz. (Allow for this when viewing,it will stop one day!)

The easiest shop to get to now is the one near the church in San Lawrenz, it's a level, short walk from this side of Gharb.

Bus is normally every hour and is reliable.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby Magic » Fri 21 Jun 2013 12:16 GMT

maddsoda - I have just returned from Gozo having spent 12 days hunting around for somewhere to live. Having looked at properties in literally every village and taking everything into account, including weekend visitors!!, I have decided on Xewkija. all things considered it had every facility I was looking for and just down the road from Victoria, the XT bar in the Square is fantastic and friendly. I plumped for a house as from a value perspective and the more level summer/winter living conditions seemed a better option.

I looked at a beautiful place in ZEEBUG and was blown away by the views, however, Blown was in more than the singular,it took me a minute to fight my way out onto the balcony to look!!

In fact, that blow was the one that brought me back down to earth, back into town and a sheltered couple of floors with a pool rather than a view!
Posted by:
Magic
Free member

Postby Magic » Fri 21 Jun 2013 12:18 GMT

Keep clear of Sannat! It's full of nutters and weirdos like the hippy in the big house on the old square and the solitary geek in the penthouse near the cliffs.

I'm presuming the Hippe is Robin Askwith? LOL, great guy to chat with, if a little off the wall!!
Posted by:
Magic
Free member

Postby Dave » Fri 21 Jun 2013 12:31 GMT

You don't have to look as far as that, Magic - I have reason to suspect that they're both long-standing forum members who've posted on this topic, unless they've moved since Kay and I were in Gozo in 2010.

Hint: one of the names begins with "g" and ends in "ozomark", and the other one's a palindrome ;)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Magic » Fri 21 Jun 2013 14:40 GMT

And there's me trying to be clever
Posted by:
Magic
Free member

Next

Return to Where to live in Malta or Gozo?