It is currently Sat 24 Aug 2019 13:54 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Where to live in Malta or Gozo?

Location with best Internet

Can't decide where on the islands to live? Find out more about the best and worst places here!

Location with best Internet

Postby steveclv » Mon 12 Aug 2013 15:51 GMT

My wife and I (British Nationals) have been living in the USA for the last 10 years and we are now relocating to Malta in November.

I will be setting up my own business (I am a Web/IT professional) and so really need fast and reliable Internet. My Wife would also like to be close to the sea with a sea view.

I understand that the island is getting Fiber Optic Broadband Internet so can anyone tell me where we should be looking for a long term rental where we can get FO broadband and get a sea view?

Secondly, we have found a car rental company that will rent us a car for E350 for the month all inclusive - are there any restrictions regarding renting for long term as it sounds more competitive then trying to buy/register/insure my own car.

Many thanks

Steve
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
steveclv
Free member

Postby gozomark » Mon 12 Aug 2013 17:13 GMT

Hi Steve, and welcome to the forum :-)

I'll leave internet questions to others, but the car hire price seems decent - no restrictions on hiring long term
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby steveclv » Mon 12 Aug 2013 17:45 GMT

Thanks, I'll go and negotiate a 6 month rental :)

Anyone know about Fiber Optics?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
steveclv
Free member

Postby Dave » Mon 12 Aug 2013 18:05 GMT

Hi, Steve, and welcome. :-)

Just a small request - can you please ask each question on the board best suited to it? It helps stop information getting jumbled up, and thus helps others find useful information which might otherwise get buried in a morass of chat and noise.

Your fibre optic question is fine here as it's about choosing a place to live that has (or soon will have) FO. (If it had been a technical question then the IT board would have been the place for it.)

However, questions about car rental really belong on the Motoring board. (And if it had been about a specific company, then it would have to go on the Recommended Suppliers board.) That part of the discussion's run its course now, but the info might have been useful for others - and the only ways they'll find it here are if they happen to stumble across it by accident, or if they get lucky on a search.

Thanks. 8-)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Cuauhtli » Mon 12 Aug 2013 21:24 GMT

We're in the centre of Malta (Naxxar) and have a 30 MegaBit Fibre Optic connection. I assume it's available over a lot of the island. Never had any problems regarding reliability, apart from when we forgot to pay the bill :oops:

They are even advertising a staggering 250 MegaBit with 20 upload. Should be more than enough to run an IT business.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Cuauhtli
Premium Member

Postby dp600 » Tue 13 Aug 2013 05:22 GMT

Fiber not in Gozo yet,but they say its on its way :)
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
dp600
Premium Member

Postby JJ » Tue 13 Aug 2013 08:15 GMT

Ta' Xbiex, St. Julian's and Attard are the only places currently offering true fibre (to the premises) and it's going to be years before it's widely available. However, like the UK providers are allowed to describe a service as 'fibre' if it's fibre for a 'substantial' part of the way, ie. to a box down the road. (Given that the internet backbone is all fibre this puzzles me since a connection a website in the US is fibre for the first several thousand miles so that's 'substantial' whether it turns into copper at the local exchange or a box down the road, but that's advertising for you.) Melita have for several years offered fibre to the cabinet delivered over coax at speeds up to 100Mbps throughout most urban areas and Go have recently started rolling out FTTC at up to 35Mbps but only in certain areas and not in Gozo yet.
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Cuauhtli » Tue 13 Aug 2013 08:55 GMT

In the end it's never going to be 100% fibre as you still need a non-fibre link from modem to PC or an environmentally-friendly WLAN cable.

What matters is the end result. Unlike the internet experience we had in Germany and the UK, here we do receive the advertised connection speed and it blows away anything we've had before.
Posted by:
Cuauhtli
Premium Member

Postby JJ » Tue 13 Aug 2013 09:08 GMT

Speeds vary according to several factors but mainly distance from exchange or street cabinet and how much your ISP overcommits their backhaul circuits and internet interconnects. The former is out of their hands but the latter comes down to getting what you pay for. That's why in the UK they have to advertise speeds as 'up to...', so people won't (or at least shouldn't) expect the headline speed. In the UK my 'up to 80Mbps' FTTC line gives 79.7Mbps which is within 1% so I've very happy, but my Virgin Media 100Mbps backup circuit can be as low as 70Mbps during peak times because they overcommit heavily.

As a matter of interest, what sort of latency do people on Melita and Go get to the rest of the world (or specifically UK)?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Cuauhtli » Tue 13 Aug 2013 09:29 GMT

JJ wrote:As a matter of interest, what sort of latency do people on Melita and Go get to the rest of the world (or specifically UK)?

Malta 10
UK 55
USA 125
Posted by:
Cuauhtli
Premium Member

Postby JJ » Tue 13 Aug 2013 09:46 GMT

Thanks Cuauhtli, that's very useful to know if I change ISP. On Vodafone WiMax I get around 100 to both UK and USA. Everything routes via wind.it.
Posted by:
JJ

Postby steveclv » Tue 13 Aug 2013 14:29 GMT

Thanks all - that's narrowed down the search a bit - and point taken about asking in the correct forums :)
Posted by:
steveclv
Free member

Postby SteveGill » Tue 20 Aug 2013 08:37 GMT

At the moment its only the Fort Cambridge and Tigne point developments that have 250mb options - but it is coming elsewhere I'm told.

My 100mb is more than enough - having started with 1200/75 baud modems I never thought I'd see the day where the connection was ever 'fast enough'. I downloaded an 11gb game through steam (legally!) the other day and it took minutes, it was fantastic.

And yes I do still play driving games - F1 2012 was on a 75% off deal :D :D
Posted by:
SteveGill
Premium Member

Postby JJ » Tue 20 Aug 2013 08:50 GMT

I was looking at the 250Mbps option myself this morning and they're not being very up-front about limited availability, but then neither are Go about their fibre offerings. 15Mbps would be enough for me here, only I'd like the upload speed to be the same, which is why I was looking at the higher speeds.

1200/75 baud? You were lucky, we 'ad 300 baud back when computer were size of two fridge freezers and 1MB hard disk were size of washing machine (when we were living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day...). And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.
Posted by:
JJ

Postby gozomark » Tue 20 Aug 2013 09:00 GMT

Ah, but did you get up before you went to bed ?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to Where to live in Malta or Gozo?