It is currently Mon 19 Aug 2019 00:20 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Where to live in Malta or Gozo?

Can't decide where to live! Help needed please!!!!

Can't decide where on the islands to live? Find out more about the best and worst places here!

Can't decide where to live! Help needed please!!!!

Postby itsnowornever » Sun 1 Sep 2013 19:23 GMT

Hi everyone,

After lots of deliberation and research I have finally decided to make the move and I will be moving to Malta in February 2014

The thing is, I just can't decide where to live!

I've been looking to start off more central/south, rather than north, just because I think it would be more convenient for work etc.

I'll be self-sufficient for the first 3 months but ideally I would like to find work as soon as possible.

I'm not a youngster looking for nightlife, i'm 51, so i'd prefer somewhere a little less noisy, but not totally dead either.

I would like to see the sea, or be quite close, but that's not a priority, but being close to shops and on a good bus route is.

Being a female on my own I want to feel safe, so no dodgy areas!

It'd also be great if there were a few expats locally to meet up with occasionally too!

All suggestions welcome........please!!!!

Thanks
Kerry. :?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
itsnowornever
Free member

Postby gozomark » Sun 1 Sep 2013 20:49 GMT

Hi Kerry - other than the "start off more central/south", I'd have said Mellieha, but given that, it comes down to budget on a property as much as anything - Swieqi and San Gwann could fit the bill
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby itsnowornever » Mon 2 Sep 2013 06:59 GMT

Thanks for the quick reply Mark, very helpful.

I'll start looking into those areas in more detail right away.

Cheers!

Kerry.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
itsnowornever
Free member

Postby SandT » Mon 2 Sep 2013 15:28 GMT

If you look at a post a little further down from yours entitled "Visiting in 2014" you will see my response to someone else's question, outlining some points (both good and not so good) about Mellieha.
It's a nice town to live in and although perhaps it may be a tad more expensive than some other places, there are bargains to be found and DO bargain with a landlord re rental costs. They are not too keen on youngsters as they worry about their furniture etc being not cared for but being the age you are (younger than us, so no disrespect meant there!) you should stand in good stead!

Sheelagh
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
SandT
Supporter

Postby itsnowornever » Mon 2 Sep 2013 16:22 GMT

Thanks so much for that Sheelagh, your info on Mellieha is so very helpful.

To be honest, Mellieha has been one of my preferred places for a while but i'm just a little concerned about getting around on buses until I get my own transport. It's not the distance (I know nowhere is too far from anywhere) it's just the time it can take to get there! But maybe that's a sacrifice you have to make to be somewhere you want to be.

Thanks for the advice on bargaining with the landlords too, i'll be sure to remember that :lol:

Kerry.
Posted by:
itsnowornever
Free member

Postby steveclv » Mon 2 Sep 2013 16:40 GMT

We too are looking at Gozo as a possible final destination - the property rents seem to be lower and the quiet pace of life there is definitely appealing. My only concern has been the issue with bugs - mozzies and sand flies as my wife is very allergic to them and our recent trip across the Southern US had her covered in painful and itchy bites for much of the journey.

How bad at the bugs in Gozo?
Posted by:
steveclv
Free member

Postby gozomark » Mon 2 Sep 2013 16:42 GMT

Mosquitos are small in Malta and Gozo - a ceiling or floor fan is enough to scatter them - I get bitten occasionally, but no big deal, certainly not up to Southern USA or Scotland problems
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby SandT » Mon 2 Sep 2013 16:57 GMT

I have had very, very few bites from anything this year! Have neither seen (nor heard!) any mozzies in the house (the fans are on in any room where we are and we keep the insect screens over open windows) and only had bites (from flies it seemed) when dog-walking on rough ground or grassy areas . Best to avoid areas where there are ponds or any still water - which includes watering plant pots too full on balconies.

I had a few bites from ants when we were camping in Sicily in July though!

Sheelagh
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
SandT
Supporter

Postby steveclv » Mon 2 Sep 2013 19:00 GMT

Thanks - I'll make sure we find somewhere to rent with ceiling fans :)
Posted by:
steveclv
Free member

Return to Where to live in Malta or Gozo?