It is currently Fri 13 Dec 2019 16:16 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Where to live in Malta or Gozo?

What are Balzan, Attard and Lija like?

Can't decide where on the islands to live? Find out more about the best and worst places here!

What are Balzan, Attard and Lija like?

Postby eliseegner » Thu 13 Mar 2014 10:38 GMT

Hi all,

Could anyone advise what Balzan, Attard and Lija are like? My partner and I are moving in July. We'll be looking for work in and around Sliema/Valletta I imagine but at the moment live in rural North Devon so don't fancy anywhere too busy. Our requirements are as follows:

- Fairly upmarket/desirable area (nothing rundown!)
- Few convenience shops within walking distance
- Either open countryside or beach in walking distance
- 15/20min drive from Sliema/Busy areas we could potentially gain employment, but don't want to live anywhere too built up

Do Balzan/Attard/Lija sound like they might fit the bill? If not, could anyone suggest anywhere? We liked the feel of Mosta and Mellieha best when we visited but feel we need to be closer to Sliema/Valletta for work.

Any advice would be a huge help as unfortunately we won't be able to visit again before we move. :shock:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
eliseegner
Free member

Postby maxine » Fri 14 Mar 2014 20:52 GMT

If you want to replicate North Devon then it has to be Mellieha :)

Attard is kinda pretty but too much traffic for me - can't help on Balzan or Lija.

What sort of work do you do?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
maxine
Free member

Postby eliseegner » Sat 15 Mar 2014 07:16 GMT

Thanks Maxine,

We loved Mellieha but just worried about work. I'm in marketing and my partner is in Sales. We'd both turn our hands to pretty much anything to make it work but think we may struggle on minimum wage jobs.

We'll be bringing enough to get by for 3mnths so hopefully might find something suitable in that time. How long, roughly, does it take to get from Mellieha to Sliema?

Thanks again,
Elise
Posted by:
eliseegner
Free member

Postby maxine » Sat 22 Mar 2014 07:38 GMT

Sorry for the delay in replying - it's between 20 and 30 minutes to Sliema from Mellieha depending upon traffic but it's probably not a journey you would enjoy twice every day.

I suggest that you find a short term rental property and then get jobs and then review it after 6 months. After a couple of months of 'Island Life' traveling any distance can become a chore :)
Posted by:
maxine
Free member

Return to Where to live in Malta or Gozo?