It is currently Tue 20 Aug 2019 21:44 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Where to live in Malta or Gozo?

Finding the right place to live

Can't decide where on the islands to live? Find out more about the best and worst places here!

Finding the right place to live

Postby KaiBosh23 » Mon 16 Jun 2014 08:53 GMT

Hi everyone,

I was hoping a kind soul could give me some advice.

I live in London but have been offered a job based in St Julian's - which is handy because Malta is the type of place in which I would like to live.

The ideal location would be 5-10km away from StJulian's (I'll cycle to work), in a rural setting or on the edge of a village, on elevated land so there are views, and not too close to the flight path (I live under the flight path at Heathrow and frankly I've had enough jet noise to last me a lifetime!).

I will be moving with my partner and our two young children, 3 and 7. Walking distance from a school would be great. I'd also like a boat, so somewhere near river moorings if possible.

I also want somewhere with a bit of land (half an acre would be fine) and of course I want it to be cheap - I don't mind renovating and don't mind what type of building it is, so long as it has permission for a residence.

I know it's a huge ask - but is this possible?

I couldn't find out about the flight path online, does anyone know which route(s) the planes take over the land? This is one of the most important things to me as my hearing is impaired.

Any advice would be extremely appreciated!

Many thanks,

KaiBosh
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
KaiBosh23
Free member

Postby ozzy » Mon 16 Jun 2014 09:21 GMT

Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
ozzy
Free member

Postby KaiBosh23 » Mon 16 Jun 2014 09:31 GMT

Hi Ozzy, thanks for the link.

I had looked at that site but I don't think it shows flight paths, only current locations of individual planes, unfortunately.
Posted by:
KaiBosh23
Free member

Postby ozzy » Mon 16 Jun 2014 10:37 GMT

you can watch the flights in real time and follow them ..getting an idea as there is no one set flight route.

Gozo VOR is about 2 nm north west of victoria and they come in heading south at say 4000ft to 5000ft so not to much noise from them here.

If you left click on the aircraft on the map on just be it lands you will get a line showing it track coming in .... so will give you where it flew over
Posted by:
ozzy
Free member

Postby KaiBosh23 » Mon 16 Jun 2014 11:17 GMT

Thanks again Ozzy - very useful.

"no one set flight route" sounds so alien to me, as the flight paths here are a constant public/political wrangling point.

Perhaps the comparatively infrequent air traffic will be enough of a change for me. I can sometimes stand outside my house and see 10 planes in a line heading my way.
Posted by:
KaiBosh23
Free member

Re: Finding the right place to live

Postby Cuauhtli » Mon 16 Jun 2014 11:57 GMT

KaiBosh23 wrote:I know it's a huge ask - but is this possible?
KaiBosh

No. Unless of course you consider properties at 2M+ to be cheap. Even a 200sqm plot with house can easily cost 0.5M+

There are not many properties available with 2000sqm.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Cuauhtli
Premium Member

Postby KaiBosh23 » Mon 16 Jun 2014 12:05 GMT

Hi Cuauhtli, thanks for your message.

I was thinking about something similar to this property:

[link removed by Site Admin - Dave]

6744 sqm for only 620K euros
Posted by:
KaiBosh23
Free member

Postby Cuauhtli » Mon 16 Jun 2014 12:16 GMT

Looks good, but I'm guessing that most of the land included is agricultural and can therefore not be developed in any way for private purposes.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Cuauhtli
Premium Member

Postby KaiBosh23 » Mon 16 Jun 2014 12:19 GMT

That's OK, I only need one small house :)

Half an acre here for 250K

[link removed by Site Admin - please read our Posting Guidelines for an explanation why. - Dave]

Perhaps these properties are not genuinely for sale.

Recently one of my neighbours here in West London sold half an acre of land, with planing permission, for £30m.
Posted by:
KaiBosh23
Free member

Postby achim » Mon 16 Jun 2014 18:14 GMT

land is at a premium in Malta and although there is a considerable amount of illegal buildings, the law itself is pretty strict. 1/2 acre with planning permission will be in the 7 figures.

I've looked into some creative alternative options here, you can see the response: http://britishexpat.com/expatforum/malt ... highlight=
Posted by:
achim
Free member

Postby KaiBosh23 » Mon 16 Jun 2014 20:15 GMT

Hi Achim,

Thanks for your message. I had read your thread a couple of times actually. It seems we have similar tastes and ambitions.

The other commenter, Richard - a chap on a committee for planning permission - was surprisingly offended by your suggestions.

I think preserving the countryside is commendable and regulations need to be adhered to, otherwise the place is overrun with ugly buildings, but there should be some consideration for people who are very keen to retain the rural atmosphere whilst getting enjoyment from the land. I felt whichever area you move to would have benefitted from your plans.

Did you get any further along with your plans/research? It seems stricter in Malta - in the UK the council cannot stop you parking a trailer on your own land and building what you want on it.

With regard to the seven-figure estimate: I'm not so sure. There appears to be a few places available with half an acre to an acre, with an existing house in need of renovation, for less than 300K. They may be fictional entries placed there by agents to reel people in, I suppose.
Posted by:
KaiBosh23
Free member

Postby richardweninger » Mon 16 Jun 2014 22:00 GMT

Hi all ,

the other guy Richard (me) has drawn back from any opinion on the use of public or privat land for development purposes , in particular in ODZ areas. Feel free to buy and develop any parcel of land you can secure. I ( and as a member of an environmental NGO here in Malta) don't care a dot anymore after the new government has shown it's true plans on Malta. If you know the right people here you can park your trailer anywhere you want and after a period of time you can convert it into anything you want , even a skyscraper-. Just be aware that someone will be allowed to build a taller building than your's next to your's . Bad luck ? Malta will be the next ' Dubai' according to J.Muscat ! Invest yoiur money ! It's a 'no-brainer' ! J. say's ....and it will be ... -)))

Someone must have misunterstood my post as I'm in opposition to any Planning Commission here in Malta. Money rules , here probably more than elsewhere. How many votes do you have to offer? That could be the question.

So back to the original post - how well do you guys know Malta and the way things work ? Especially for foreigners?

Cheers
Ricky
Posted by:
richardweninger
Free member

Postby KaiBosh23 » Mon 16 Jun 2014 22:33 GMT

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for your input.

I understand your concerns. I do appreciate that Malta's countryside would remain purer without folk like me coming over and messing it up, but I'm very keen to preserve the current state and if I can find a house with land I'd only turn it into an identical house but with a modern interior, adhering to all local laws and environmental guidelines.

I'd be a Maltese resident working for a Maltese company and contributing to the nation's coffers. I look forward to improving my Maltese language skills.

I know very little about how things are done there, that's why I'm on this website. I look forward to finding out more about the process from yourself and the other knowledgable members.

Thanks again,

KaiBosh
Posted by:
KaiBosh23
Free member

Postby achim » Tue 17 Jun 2014 07:52 GMT

KaiBosh23 wrote:
Did you get any further along with your plans/research? It seems stricter in Malta - in the UK the council cannot stop you parking a trailer on your own land and building what you want on it.

I haven't really investigated any further. Our plans have changed a bit, at least in the short term. Regulations are certainly stricter than in UK, Gozo has even more. I think my idea does still have some legs though, I don't think I would mind having to walk 5 mins to get to my garden...

KaiBosh23 wrote:
With regard to the seven-figure estimate: I'm not so sure. There appears to be a few places available with half an acre to an acre, with an existing house in need of renovation, for less than 300K. They may be fictional entries placed there by agents to reel people in, I suppose.

or it may be illegal buildings. Happens a lot. 300k seems very low for 1/2 acre with planning permission anywhere on Malta or Gozo, especially with existing building. Would require a very high level of due diligence.

Also consider that the property market is pretty static for anything other than apartments in the most popular areas. Should you ever have to sell in a hurry, you would need to be prepared for a significant loss.
Posted by:
achim
Free member

Postby chris green » Tue 17 Jun 2014 10:48 GMT

Sorry to draw some humour from your posting KaiBosh but I managed to follow the link to the 250K house and half acre before Dave whipped it away to the naughty box.

The property is positioned near the end of the main MIA runway. It is also close to the 24 hour operating container Freeport and adjacent to a 'irregular' immigrant camp.

Perhaps that is reflected in the price. :roll:
Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Next

Return to Where to live in Malta or Gozo?