It is currently Thu 12 Dec 2019 10:24 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Where to live in Malta or Gozo?

retiring malta or gozo?

Can't decide where on the islands to live? Find out more about the best and worst places here!

retiring malta or gozo?

Postby g4jnw » Wed 9 Jul 2014 09:24 GMT

I expect to retire in 2 years so we are starting to plan, i will be 65 and receive a retirement pension currently expected to be about £150 per week plus an NHS pension of £400 per month.

We will have approx £45k profit from our house although we don't want to dip into that apart from emergencies.

My wife however is 10 years younger than me who would be looking for part time work as a Health care assistant or in some sort of care setting.

We would prefer Gozo as we previously lived on a Scottish island for 13 years, so enjoy island life.

We are not thinking of buying so look to rent.

I have looked at rental properties and they seem quite cheap, is there a snag with rental or any extras to pay above the rent, apart from electric/gas living expenses? - Is there any problem if signing for say 6 months in extending longer?

I am being realistic in that the area we would like would include expats plus ideally near the coast as my hobby is sea fishing.

Any advise welcome - pitfalls to look for etc.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
g4jnw
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 9 Jul 2014 09:29 GMT

welcome to the forum :-)

1. there is no council tax in Malta, and yes rents are cheap, esp in Gozo, and in Malta away from the builtup areas
2. extending lease - depends on the landlord, but generally not a problem
3. wherever you are there will be expats nearby, for good or bad :-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby g4jnw » Wed 9 Jul 2014 09:36 GMT

Great thanks for that, whats the prospect of my wife finding work, part time in care? on Gozo as we have searched and have found nothing either on Gozo or Malta - perhaps its been easy for her here as its been pretty central as you can search on a website called NHS Jobs, maybe there is a similar website that we haven't found?

One question I would like to ask without being shot down as its a bit of a generalization, looking at my sums of money above, would it be possible to live a simple life on that in Gozo in case my wife could not find work?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
g4jnw
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 9 Jul 2014 09:41 GMT

thats an income of around € 15,000ps, which is sufficient for most people

work - lack of Maltese language skills will be an issue, but there are some foreigners for offer private care to elderly foreigners for example
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Mon 14 Jul 2014 21:00 GMT

You'll probably want to make clear your requirements for antennas with the estate agents up front, and get it written into the lease so they don't change their minds once you've moved in. Bear in mind the possibility of TVI if there are tall buildings around you since a lot of people need quite high TV aerials. Finally consider propagation direction as you'll be working different countries than you did in Lewis.

G6VZM/9H4JJ
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby chris green » Tue 22 Jul 2014 15:28 GMT

Is this some sort of secret coded message JJ? What aerial? :shock: :mrgreen:
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Postby JJ » Wed 23 Jul 2014 08:33 GMT

It's a secret society Chris. I'd have to shake your hand to know if I can talk to you about it. Or google g4jnw and I'm sure you'll work it out.
Posted by:
JJ

Postby g4jnw » Sun 7 Sep 2014 17:53 GMT

JJ wrote:You'll probably want to make clear your requirements for antennas with the estate agents up front, and get it written into the lease so they don't change their minds once you've moved in. Bear in mind the possibility of TVI if there are tall buildings around you since a lot of people need quite high TV aerials. Finally consider propagation direction as you'll be working different countries than you did in Lewis.

G6VZM/9H4JJ

A fellow radioham thats great, did you have any problem with getting a licence in Malta? was it easy?

Im also a bit confused by rental properties, when going on to estate agents websites they seem reasonable but when seeing quoted prices on some of the forums they seem well out of our pocket, would there be some reason for this, im talking like for like a simple 2 bedroom property, nothing flash.
Posted by:
g4jnw
Free member

Postby achim » Sun 7 Sep 2014 18:11 GMT

g4jnw wrote:Im also a bit confused by rental properties, when going on to estate agents websites they seem reasonable but when seeing quoted prices on some of the forums they seem well out of our pocket.

Most landlords do not offer properties at what the market rate indicates for similar properties. Properties are often offered in different places for different prices on the principle of "whatever somebody is willing to pay".

On average I'd say that real prices are even lower than those on real estate agents websites, but those lower prices are usually only accessible once you have, shall we say, embedded yourself in the local community.... :lol:
Posted by:
achim
Free member

Postby JJ » Tue 9 Sep 2014 07:03 GMT

Getting the licence is a formality once you've got an ID card. Theoretically you should register your equipment and have it inspected to make sure it can't transmit out of band but in practice no-one bothers and they were surprised when I volunteered it. There's a few of us about - some 20 or so, about 2/3 of whom are members of the Gozo Amateur Radio Society which meets on (usually) the last Sunday of the month at 10am at the Scout centre in Victoria (on the border with Fontana).
Posted by:
JJ

Return to Where to live in Malta or Gozo?