It is currently Thu 12 Dec 2019 10:23 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Where to live in Malta or Gozo?

Autumn and Winter in Gozo

Can't decide where on the islands to live? Find out more about the best and worst places here!

Postby Ghawdex » Wed 13 Aug 2014 13:29 GMT

Sannat, Sannat. :mrgreen:
Nadur is nice as well and is really close to Ramla beach, but IMO not "close" to victoria as far as "close" goes in Gozo...
Citizen of Malta and Canada
Posted by:
Ghawdex
Premium Member

Postby FOXGLOVE » Wed 13 Aug 2014 16:58 GMT

euphony wrote:Thanks for the helpful replies :)

That doesn't sound too good about the buses then :(
We found them to be excellent when we've been over there, but if it sounds like it might not last I'll have to make sure we move somewhere not completely isolated if we're having to rely on them!

Whilst the buses are pretty good at the moment who knows what will happen when the new operator takes over.( There is supposed to be an announcement at the end of the week.) I don't think they will be as bad as the old days but may not be as good as now.
We don't have a car and hire one every 3 or 4 weeks for a few days and do 'the big shop'.

However, I think if one lived in Gharb or San lawrenz on the Victoria side of the villages you would have the choice between a fairly level walk in to Victoria or 3 three different buses as the 308 would be in walking distance as well.
(There are also some really nice people in these villages. !)

Ray

:compucoffee:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 13 Aug 2014 18:04 GMT

new bus group announced this morning

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi ... ted.531703

what services they supply are up to Transport Malta, so hopefully TM asked for quotes based on the current Gozo service
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Playbyte » Wed 13 Aug 2014 20:40 GMT

We are moving to Sannat at the end of December despite the thought of meeting Gozomark lol.

Seriously, Sannat is only about 1.5 miles from Victoria and although the bus only goes through once an hour then our plans of buying a Vespa scooter seem like a good idea if the buses may get changed, defiantly not buying a car.

Roger & Marion
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Playbyte
Free member

Postby Ghawdex » Wed 13 Aug 2014 22:29 GMT

^^I second Sannat ;) - although I despise the buses in Malta, the one day I used them they were an hour late and I was standing there in the sweltering heat - never again. And this was when they were arriva. I suspect they are worse now that they are managed by the Maltese government ...... I'll be buying a car.
Citizen of Malta and Canada
Posted by:
Ghawdex
Premium Member

Postby euphony » Thu 14 Aug 2014 06:06 GMT

Last time we were over in April/May the bus service was excellent. They were always on time. We used them daily, and went on almost every route and never once had a problem.
It'll be interesting to see what the new timetables will be.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby euphony » Thu 14 Aug 2014 07:40 GMT

I'm still leaning slightly towards Xaghra, as long as we can find somewhere on the outskirts that's quiet and not too lit up at night so i can use my telescope! When we've been over there it's been dead in the winter cafe/restaurant wise, but when you think about it realistically, when we live there, we'd only be going out once a week probably anyway, and if all else fails we can go down into Victoria!
But we need to double check all the places I mentioned to make sure that they're definitely not for us. I need to research Sannat thoroughly.
I've got my wife paranoid now though about it being cold in the winter :lol:
She started complaining saying she wanted to move somewhere warmer than the UK and didn't want to be colder in the winter mionths (as we can stick our central heating on in the winter months in the UK). I told her to stop fretting, we'll be fine! :drink:
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby euphony » Thu 14 Aug 2014 07:43 GMT

and Qala, that's another one to really get to the bottom of. It seemed nice and quiet when we were there, but seemed a bit further from Victoria than we wanted. Although I liked the way it was close to the coast/Hondoq bay. But I've heard of a possible development that could go ahead there.
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby dp600 » Fri 15 Aug 2014 05:36 GMT

Is quite a few places open to eat in Xaghra in the winter.
Posted by:
dp600
Premium Member

Postby euphony » Fri 15 Aug 2014 13:34 GMT

which places stay open in the winter?
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby gozomark » Fri 15 Aug 2014 14:05 GMT

many of the ones in the main square
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Sat 16 Aug 2014 07:01 GMT

We went to Xaghra square to eat last year, we got there at 12 noon and ordered a meal in a quaint little bar, very nice, we decided to eat indoors as the flies were sharing our drinks, we finnished our main course and asked about a sweet course menu to which the reply was that a relation owned the cake shop a few doors away and we could get a nice selection there, so fair enough my friend offered to buy another round of drinks, "you'll have to be quick drinking them as we close at 1" the barmaid told us. I saw the funny side but my friend hasn't recovered yet. :drink:
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby KernowKaz » Sat 16 Aug 2014 10:24 GMT

I think one has to look at where a property is situated within any village. If you are near the square you will get church bells and bar noise (esp during festa's!). On the main through road and you will get traffic. In some villages there will be trucks going to and from quarries (Qala & St Lawrence etc). During Festa's I don't think it matters where in the village you live as visitors will be parking everywhere and the police will close off roads for the processions.... Oh - and watch out for 'farms' - there could be one next door.....
Sounds really negative - I love it here really :)
Karen
Posted by:
KernowKaz
Supporter

Postby chris green » Sat 16 Aug 2014 12:22 GMT

KernowKaz wrote:In some villages there will be trucks going to and from quarries (Qala & St Lawrence etc).
Karen

Karen, Where, on a regular basis, do quarry trucks pass through San Lawrenz :?: :mrgreen:
THE FACTS LAB BOOK of INSECTS by the team McMahon. Available from Amazon.

Soon to be a major HOLLYWOOD movie !!!
Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Postby KernowKaz » Sat 16 Aug 2014 15:09 GMT

Sorry Chris, I thought I used to see them when walking the dog round from Santu Pietru, I must have been mistaken, perhaps they drove through Gharb. :oops:
Posted by:
KernowKaz
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Where to live in Malta or Gozo?