It is currently Sun 18 Aug 2019 14:51 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Where to live in Malta or Gozo?

Moving to Malta - cold turkey

Can't decide where on the islands to live? Find out more about the best and worst places here!

Moving to Malta - cold turkey

Postby Penury » Mon 22 Sep 2014 20:55 GMT

The information contained within the pages (walls) of this BE forum are priceless, way better than any google search, book or encyclopedia.

Having said that I have read & spent a few years of computer time reading most everything on here, from Gozomark's 'sticky' threads to the volumes of shared members stories.

Most that have moved in may have had an easy go of it, others finding the frustrating 'open one door then there are many more to go' .

My simple question to those that have made the move to Malta/Gozo & based on that experience - what simple advice would you give someone coming in as a self sufficient resident cold turkey?.

The reality of it, the steps after getting off the plane, on the basis no friends or relatives in Malta/Gozo?

a) The suggested type of place to stay, for how long & how cost effective?
b) How quickly would it take to find furnished accommodation (long let), then to set up the list of utilities needed?
c) A conservative estimate how long it would take to do the finicky stuff (all good info within BE on how to do it) - such as a Bank account, register yourself, health card, doctors & anything I have missed
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Penury
Supporter

Postby Playbyte » Tue 23 Sep 2014 10:34 GMT

Hi Penury

We are in the final stages of our move to Gozo arriving there in Mid Dec 2014 after lots of reading and help from this forum.

Being a premium member also helped to use the pm system to speak directly with other members of the board and that has been invaluable.

If you do become a premium member then please contact me and we will be only too delighted to give you the benefit of our experience and the process we took.

Playbyte
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Playbyte
Free member

Postby Kay » Tue 23 Sep 2014 11:48 GMT

Supporters have the same privileges as Premium Members - or should have! (Please tell us if you don't!)

A "Supporter" is someone who threw something into the kitty before we had much to give them in return for their money. The Supporters were our angel investors who enabled us to create the service which we now charge for.

Yay! All those old guys who believed in us and put their hands in their pockets.

And some of them paid for a hundred years up front. That's how good they (some of them) are! :mrgreen:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Tue 23 Sep 2014 12:02 GMT

Sorry, I was so busy on my soap box talking about "Supporters" that I forgot to thank you for your kind message about the benefits of Premium Membership.

Someone send me a gag. it's probably the best thing you can do for the forum. :?

I met Doug Richard last night. I might even tell you about it if you ask me. :twisted:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Penury » Tue 23 Sep 2014 12:10 GMT

I paid when I joined way back when for the 'Premium' service when I joined & BTW, I have always considered myself 'old 'as well as Golden Kay.... big chuckle
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Penury
Supporter

Postby Penury » Tue 23 Sep 2014 12:13 GMT

what happened to my post above - it looks garbled?

Anyway - I paid for the premium service & consider myself well & truly 'old' lol
Posted by:
Penury
Supporter

Postby Penury » Tue 23 Sep 2014 12:14 GMT

a gag it is Kay. 'Scotland should have gone to the YES' side
Posted by:
Penury
Supporter

Postby Penury » Tue 23 Sep 2014 12:18 GMT

back to my OP question if anyone can relate or give the simple response - c&p'd below?

thanks

The reality of it, the steps after getting off the plane, on the basis no friends or relatives in Malta/Gozo?

a) The suggested type of place to stay, for how long & how cost effective?
b) How quickly would it take to find furnished accommodation (long let), then to set up the list of utilities needed?
c) A conservative estimate how long it would take to do the finicky stuff (all good info within BE on how to do it) - such as a Bank account, register yourself, health card, doctors & anything I have missed
Posted by:
Penury
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Tue 23 Sep 2014 12:59 GMT

really none of it should take too long, esp if dont arrive in the summer

furnished accommodation 1-2 weeks, and utilities should already be connected

paperwork - the trickiest one is the bank account sometimes, the rest could all be done by you in a couple of days for the lot, although you might wait a few weeks to receive it. Add - tax number to the list, and NI number if intending on working
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Brightside » Tue 23 Sep 2014 14:45 GMT

If you currently bank with one that is represented in Malta you can sort out accounts before you arrive here. I did this with HSBC from the UK. C
Posted by:
Brightside
Premium Member

Postby Penury » Tue 23 Sep 2014 16:03 GMT

thanks for the replies so far.

On the following, for anyone that has done it or can suggest ...

What would you do if you landed 'cold turkey' between September - March timeframe & with no friends or family to meet you. Where, what, how would you find suitable low cost accommodation, then how quickly could you get a long term rental sorted.

I just don't want to spend all my money staying in hotel or B&B for one - two months (never mind weeks).

My preference would be away from the bigger towns, the non-tourist part of Malta/Gozo, away from the noise, just close enough to a supermarket & maybe a watering hole.

Anyone that can help on this more important piece of 'the cold turkey move'
Posted by:
Penury
Supporter

Postby Playbyte » Tue 23 Sep 2014 21:42 GMT

Ooops, I'm sorry about my comments about getting premium membership Penury I had no idea about the history of the site and what a supporter is, I made an erroneous assumption.

If I had taken the time to look I would of seen that the PM button was in fact available.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Playbyte
Free member

Return to Where to live in Malta or Gozo?