It is currently Sat 24 Aug 2019 13:06 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Housing/Property

HOA/Maintenance Fees

Old or new? Buy or rent? Dealing with builders, notaries, agents etc? Try here for info.
NO ADVERTISING - adverts belong in our classifieds section. Any property ads, self-promotion etc will be deleted.

HOA/Maintenance Fees

Postby georgio_93 » Fri 9 Jan 2009 09:44 GMT

I hope I am in the right forum here:

Are there any maintanence fees associated with owning property in Malta every month?

If so, what types of property? IE. Apartments/Penhouses, Maisonettes, Terraced Houses, Houses of Character, Villas etc.

Also, what is the cost of refuse/garbage tax? How is this levied?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
georgio_93
Free member

Postby gozomark » Fri 9 Jan 2009 09:47 GMT

Hi Georgio, and welcome to the forum

Also, what is the cost of refuse/garbage tax? How is this levied? - zero - is paid for out of general taxation :D

Are there any maintanence fees associated with owning property in Malta every month? - what do you have in mind ? there is no property tax, or council tax
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby georgio_93 » Fri 9 Jan 2009 10:26 GMT

Hi there. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Maintenance fees or HOA is what they are called in the US abbreviated for Home Owners Association. It is a fee that you have to pay every month to an association. Some Homes/Apartments have this fee every month and older homes do not. This association regulates what you can do to the exterior of the property in terms of rennovation. You also cannot sell your home without the approval of the association and your dues must be paid up to date. It sometimes covers house insurance (exterior only) and the use of community facilities such as a pool, spa, park or golf course etc.

I hope there is not such a thing in Malta! :D
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
georgio_93
Free member

Postby gozomark » Fri 9 Jan 2009 10:32 GMT

ah, OK

in general - for a house, nothing

for an apartment in a block there is likely to be a small service charge eg for electricity in communal area, and cleaning of communal areas. If there is a lift and pool, then something to pay there as well. There could be a common building insurance policy, and possibly ground rent, but likely to be very low.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby georgio_93 » Fri 9 Jan 2009 22:13 GMT

So when you say house... you mean the following:

house of character
villa
terraced house
farmhouse

Pretty much everything but an apartment/penhouse correct?
Posted by:
georgio_93
Free member

Postby gozomark » Fri 9 Jan 2009 22:41 GMT

in general, yes :D
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby georgio_93 » Sat 10 Jan 2009 01:57 GMT

Thanks a lot gozomark!
Posted by:
georgio_93
Free member

Postby stuartd1 » Sat 10 Jan 2009 02:59 GMT

In your earlier post, Georgio,, you mentioned the HAO restricting alterations. I remember someone telling me that if you buy older houses on in Malta and wish to alter them substantially, you may have to wait a substantial time before receiving approval. Mark you would know better.
Regards,Stuartd1
Posted by:
stuartd1
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Sat 10 Jan 2009 07:12 GMT

some older houses have protected status (as in many countries). For example, a house near me - the owners wanted to demolish it, and rebuild. MEPA (planning authorities) insisted they kept the front facade. We would face the same, but when we changed some of the internal walls we didn't require permission.

There are some conservation areas (I think much of Mdina is one, as are parts of Valletta and Victoria) where restrictions are tighter
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby georgio_93 » Sun 11 Jan 2009 05:51 GMT

If Malta is anything like my home country of Italy, I think I will avoid rennovations all together. I am not concerned too much with the regulations since I wouldn't attempt to rennovate anything major. I just wouldn't want to be forced into purchasing property that had community fees but since it seems like the majority of property does not have this... than I will stick with the terraced homes or something of the sort.
Posted by:
georgio_93
Free member

Return to Housing/Property