It is currently Sun 21 Jul 2019 15:25 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Housing/Property

Moving to Gozo

Old or new? Buy or rent? Dealing with builders, notaries, agents etc? Try here for info.
NO ADVERTISING - adverts belong in our classifieds section. Any property ads, self-promotion etc will be deleted.

Moving to Gozo

Postby julian2133 » Tue 1 Mar 2016 21:28 GMT

My family and I (my wife and 2 boys aged 10 & 12) will be relocating to Gozo in July/August 2017, we are on a housing recce in March and October this year, our plan is to initally rent whilst renovating a property, I am presently finishing a 2 year project in Northern France turning and old Farmhouse into a family home and for the future a rental income property.
I would like to employ a local builder to assist me in renovating a property for our family, my thinking is they will have the local knowledge with regards materials, building regulations etc, is this worthwhile?
Secondly, does Gozo have a good supply chain for materials and are they expensive compared to the UK?
We are very much looking forward to our move, any avice would be gratefully recieved, even the horror stories...
Posted by:
julian2133

Re: Moving to Gozo

Postby Kay » Wed 2 Mar 2016 06:18 GMT

Hi Julian,

Welcome to the forum. I'll shift your post to the Malta forum - Housing/Property.

Good luck with your plans.

Kay
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Thu 10 Mar 2016 19:19 GMT

welcome :-)

in general terms

labour is much cheaper than UK
materials are more expensive

overall costs are generally lower
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Thu 10 Mar 2016 19:25 GMT

julian2133 wrote:I would like to employ a local builder to assist me in renovating a property for our family, my thinking is they will have the local knowledge with regards materials, building regulations etc, is this worthwhile?

in a word, yes, but you have to trust the person or you will get ripped off. There is at least one person recommended in the recommended suppliers forum, as I recommended him :-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby julian2133 » Mon 21 Mar 2016 12:16 GMT

Mark

thank you for that..
Posted by:
julian2133

Postby julian2133 » Mon 21 Mar 2016 12:37 GMT

My wife and I will be arriving in Gozo on the 6th of April for a property recce, flying back on the 10th, does anyone have any reccomendations for estate agents? we have been looking on Frank salt and Prime so far,but would welcome any good tips.. we are staying just off the harbour, having stayed in nadur last time around, we are back again in October with the children, once again staying in nadur.

Julian
Posted by:
julian2133

Postby Kay » Wed 23 Mar 2016 11:07 GMT

Hi Julian.

Recommendations for businesses belong on our "Recommended Suppliers" forum. Premium Membership is required to access it - £25 p/a (50% of the price goes to Gozo SPCA).
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Housing/Property