It is currently Tue 16 Jul 2019 10:14 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Working in Malta

Working in Malta but for an offshore company?

What are the rules post-EU accession? What is the likely demand for your services? NO ADVERTISING - adverts belong in our classifieds section. Ads, self-promotion etc will be deleted.

Working in Malta but for an offshore company?

Postby sprucemaroose » Thu 18 Aug 2016 11:03 GMT

Hi,

I'm an old member here. Lived in Malta for a few months then moved overseas. I intend to come back - it is a great island!

Situation is this: I work for a company based in Guernsey. My contract is with them. They're happy for me to work anywhere. I have an EU passport.

Can I move to Malta and work like this? Having reviewed the options I guess I'd go for the "economically self-sufficient" option, since I have no intention of taking a job with a Maltese company BUT will be earning an income. I would imagine my income would be taxed in Malta...

Help please! :)
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
sprucemaroose
Premium Member

Re: Working in Malta but for an offshore company?

Postby FOXGLOVE » Fri 19 Aug 2016 16:44 GMT

If you are paid in another country but are resident in Malta for more than 183 days under the self sufficiency rules, you would be liable to pay tax on any monies earned in Malta or remitted to Malta other than if the money is from capital. If your income is already taxed in the UK you should be able to offset that against tax in Malta under the dual taxation arrangement. Not sure of the rules if the income is taxed in the Channel Islands.

Regards

Ray
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby gozomark » Sun 21 Aug 2016 15:45 GMT

sprucemaroose wrote:Can I move to Malta and work like this? Having reviewed the options I guess I'd go for the "economically self-sufficient" option, since I have no intention of taking a job with a Maltese company BUT will be earning an income. I would imagine my income would be taxed in Malta...

)

yes as long as are earning enough to satisfy the minimum amount required for self sufficient, or go the capital route if you have sufficient savings, that could be easier - this of course may change in a couple of years if your EU passport is a UK one
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby sprucemaroose » Fri 26 Aug 2016 13:44 GMT

Thanks for both of your replies.

I will certainly exceed the self sufficiency requirements for my salary!

FOXGLOVE - So I should pay tax in the country I am currently resident (Mauritius) for the first 182 days of living in Malta? That would be useful since the tax here is only 15%!

gozomark - Thanks. Why do you say the capital route would be easier, out of interest? Having lived in Malta before (albeit briefly) whatever is easiest is definitely the route I'd take!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
sprucemaroose
Premium Member

Postby FOXGLOVE » Sat 27 Aug 2016 13:48 GMT

Have no idea whether there are any arrangements in place between Malta and Mauritius but you would have to register for tax in Malta when you become resident and also file a tax return.
I would suggest having a word with a tax accountant and Mark can possibly give you the name of one used by several expats here in Malta, I believe the accountant's name is listed in recommended suppliers on the forum.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby gozomark » Fri 9 Sep 2016 15:49 GMT

sprucemaroose wrote:Why do you say the capital route would be easier, out of interest?

capital - just need one bank statement with sufficient in it
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Fri 9 Sep 2016 15:52 GMT

sprucemaroose wrote:So I should pay tax in the country I am currently resident (Mauritius) for the first 182 days of living in Malta?

you might benefit from split year tax treatment in your first year, yes, but best to consult an accountant in Malta on that for your circumstances
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to Working in Malta