It is currently Sun 18 Aug 2019 15:24 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Working in Malta

Living in Gozo, but working in Malta. Can it be done ?

What are the rules post-EU accession? What is the likely demand for your services? NO ADVERTISING - adverts belong in our classifieds section. Ads, self-promotion etc will be deleted.

Postby gozomark » Mon 7 Jul 2014 06:31 GMT

you will be going against the traffic at those times, so that will make it much easier, but it will still be a long commute - where in Malta do you work ?

"the costs of commuting" - all in, around € 20 a day - ferry, petrol, car costs

"the likelyhood of the ferry not working" - only a few crossings a year are cancelled

"which areas are quiet and nice to live in (3-bedroom house with a pool would be great) etc etc" - better to ask in where to live part of forum
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby PeaCakes » Mon 7 Jul 2014 13:16 GMT

I used to commute to London on the Stansted Express. Never got
a seat!
It was a car trip to the station car park, then the train (standing)
then wait for a bus.........at least 1.5 hours each way and £4k for
the ticket. So three to four hours commuting each day. Surely
it won't be much different commuting from Gozo to Malta. It is a timely
trek and I do feel for the locals and other who really do not have
much of a choice
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
PeaCakes
Premium Member

Postby serendipidy » Wed 9 Jul 2014 05:56 GMT

I work in the Sliema area and don't mind commuting. Been doing this for years in the UK, so over here with airconditioned busses it's a bliss. :-)

I was planning to leave my car in Mġarr and cross by ferry on foot (1.15 Euros) and then have a bus saver card (72 Euros for 3 months). So I guess my total travel time will be roughly 1.5 hours, but that is OK.

I really love the idea of moving to Gozo. It seems so much nicer than Malta, and getting a house with a pool for under 1000 Euros/month in Malta is highly unlikely. :-)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
serendipidy
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 9 Jul 2014 06:35 GMT

Parking at Mgarr in the morning can be an issue
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby serendipidy » Thu 10 Jul 2014 05:42 GMT

I park in the evenings from 6.30pm and come back around 7.30am the next morning..so in worst case scenario, I leave my car at home... am still looking at property..agencies suck big time..they are so slooooow
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
serendipidy
Free member

Previous

Return to Working in Malta