It is currently Fri 6 Dec 2019 08:12 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Working in Malta

Living in Gozo, but working in Malta. Can it be done ?

What are the rules post-EU accession? What is the likely demand for your services? NO ADVERTISING - adverts belong in our classifieds section. Ads, self-promotion etc will be deleted.

Postby gozomark » Mon 7 Jul 2014 06:31 GMT

you will be going against the traffic at those times, so that will make it much easier, but it will still be a long commute - where in Malta do you work ?

"the costs of commuting" - all in, around € 20 a day - ferry, petrol, car costs

"the likelyhood of the ferry not working" - only a few crossings a year are cancelled

"which areas are quiet and nice to live in (3-bedroom house with a pool would be great) etc etc" - better to ask in where to live part of forum
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby PeaCakes » Mon 7 Jul 2014 13:16 GMT

I used to commute to London on the Stansted Express. Never got
a seat!
It was a car trip to the station car park, then the train (standing)
then wait for a bus.........at least 1.5 hours each way and £4k for
the ticket. So three to four hours commuting each day. Surely
it won't be much different commuting from Gozo to Malta. It is a timely
trek and I do feel for the locals and other who really do not have
much of a choice
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
PeaCakes
Premium Member

Postby serendipidy » Wed 9 Jul 2014 05:56 GMT

I work in the Sliema area and don't mind commuting. Been doing this for years in the UK, so over here with airconditioned busses it's a bliss. :-)

I was planning to leave my car in Mġarr and cross by ferry on foot (1.15 Euros) and then have a bus saver card (72 Euros for 3 months). So I guess my total travel time will be roughly 1.5 hours, but that is OK.

I really love the idea of moving to Gozo. It seems so much nicer than Malta, and getting a house with a pool for under 1000 Euros/month in Malta is highly unlikely. :-)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
serendipidy
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 9 Jul 2014 06:35 GMT

Parking at Mgarr in the morning can be an issue
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby serendipidy » Thu 10 Jul 2014 05:42 GMT

I park in the evenings from 6.30pm and come back around 7.30am the next morning..so in worst case scenario, I leave my car at home... am still looking at property..agencies suck big time..they are so slooooow
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
serendipidy
Free member

Previous

Return to Working in Malta