It is currently Thu 12 Dec 2019 12:14 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Working in Malta

Discrimination against non-Maltese?

What are the rules post-EU accession? What is the likely demand for your services? NO ADVERTISING - adverts belong in our classifieds section. Ads, self-promotion etc will be deleted.

Discrimination against non-Maltese?

Postby Georgi » Fri 14 Jun 2013 06:59 GMT

Yesterday I went to HSBC St. Julian’s brunch to make bank account.
I took with me the documents which I need for it .My Maltese ID, my VAT number and my working permit.
Till I waited for serves the manager came and asks me what I need.
I told him I’d like to open bank account.
He asks me do I work in Malta.
I answered yes.
When the conversation start, I give to employee of the bank my paper and told him i know about procedure.
He didn’t look my documents till the end.
First question was where I from.
I told him I’m Bulgarian.
Then he asks me can I prove my address.
I answer yes.
There is written on the VAT registration document.
The employee of the bank wasn’t happy of it and he ask me to show him the contract with landlord.
I said, the contract is not on my name but if he wants I can bring it for him tomorrow.
Then employee of the bank asks me for references from other bank.
I told him, the last bank which I had bank account is the same bank and in the same brunch.
He checks something in his laptop and he said:
- I’m very sorry but we don’t save old files and you cannot open bank account in our bank.
Do you think that is not discrimination???
I’m European citizen.
Can I open bank account if I’m not working in Malta?
How I can open bank account if I never had????
How people who never had bank account open it???
I used to live in UK about two years.
Wasn't like that.
In UK I didn't see any discrimination..............
I don't know what I have to do ???
Posted by:
Georgi

Postby gozomark » Fri 14 Jun 2013 07:21 GMT

Try a different bank - opening an account in any EU country has got much tougher over the years, but different banks (and different branches) have different interpretations of the requirements.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Georgi » Sat 15 Jun 2013 07:33 GMT

Thanks Mark !
The problem is not bank account.
The problem is discrimination.
You are Maltese you know what I mean.
If you go to open bank account everything will be easy .
That is discrimination.
I don't go there to ask for credit.
Posted by:
Georgi

Postby gozomark » Sat 15 Jun 2013 07:48 GMT

"If you go to open bank account everything will be easy" it won't be, not any more - there are hurdles for everyone.

Try another bank

ps I'm not Maltese :-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Re: Discrimination against non-Maltese?

Postby gozomark » Sat 15 Jun 2013 08:01 GMT

Georgi wrote:He checks something in his laptop and he said:
- I’m very sorry ... you cannot open bank account in our bank.
Do you think that is not discrimination???

did he explain what piece of information you were missing, in order open an account ?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Cuauhtli » Sat 15 Jun 2013 12:02 GMT

Georgi wrote:If you go to open bank account everything will be easy

I'm a British citizen, but after moving back from Germany to the UK I had great difficulty opening an account. I had to first get my name on the electoral register because without that my credit rating was very poor having had little credit history in the UK. It's not discrimination, just the bank being overcautious.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Cuauhtli
Premium Member

Postby kaltik » Wed 20 Nov 2013 04:07 GMT

Banks are also suspicious everywhere in Europe for money laundering accounts.
Posted by:
kaltik

Postby ExpatBarrister » Sun 29 Dec 2013 20:14 GMT

HSBC are particularly cautious, its a result of their $1.9 billion fine when they looked the other way:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/11/us-hsbc-probe-idUSBRE8BA05M20121211
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
ExpatBarrister
Free member

Postby ozzy » Mon 30 Dec 2013 08:50 GMT

I have been trying to open a bank acc with HSBC for early 3 months now and I am no further along than I was on the first day .... after getting the info HSBC said they needed in the UK ...they said they would arrange everything after spending an hour in the bank filling in forms ect .. only to find out my UK bank would not respond to HSBC request for info ect .. now I have to start over and do it myself before HSBC can go forward with opening the account .. lesson learnt is to get as much info and documentation from your UK bank BEFORE you come out here
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
ozzy
Free member

Postby Cuauhtli » Mon 30 Dec 2013 10:15 GMT

I had the same problem with HSBC saying they were waiting for information from the UK. After 2 months of enquiring and waiting I gave them 2 days to get it sorted or forget it. Miraculously it was opened within a day.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Cuauhtli
Premium Member

Postby ozzy » Mon 30 Dec 2013 10:38 GMT

Yep ...Sounds very similar to my situation Cuauhtli ... they claimed to have sent the request twice
Posted by:
ozzy
Free member

Postby Playbyte » Mon 30 Dec 2013 13:26 GMT

We are coming over in April with the intent to carry on with our research prior to arriving in December, but more importantly to open an HSBC bank account.

What information would you suggest I obtain from my UK bank prior to coming over?

Do I need to obtain application forms etc, and fill them in before coming over, what are they and where would I get them from UK or Malta?

Would any of these forms require completion/certifying by my UK bank?
Posted by:
Playbyte
Free member

Postby ozzy » Mon 30 Dec 2013 14:30 GMT

If you have had the HSBC account for more than 6 months you will have no problems ... I think you should be able to open the Malta account from your UK branch before you come out here......
Posted by:
ozzy
Free member

Postby Brightside » Mon 30 Dec 2013 21:31 GMT

HSBC Uk present no problems at all to existing account holders wanting a Maltese account. Do it before leaving the Uk and cheque books and cards will be sent to you then change your address on arrival.
Posted by:
Brightside
Premium Member

Postby Cuauhtli » Tue 31 Dec 2013 00:36 GMT

Doesn't it cost around 100 pounds to open the account that way? Seems like a lot to pay for something that's free when you get here.
Posted by:
Cuauhtli
Premium Member

Return to Working in Malta