It is currently Mon 19 Aug 2019 18:09 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Working in Malta

Self Employed Tax

What are the rules post-EU accession? What is the likely demand for your services? NO ADVERTISING - adverts belong in our classifieds section. Ads, self-promotion etc will be deleted.

Self Employed Tax

Postby leigho » Sat 27 Jul 2013 06:50 GMT

I need to register as self employed for tax and NI which I believe I can do in St Francis Square..can anyone just clarify what building I am looking for, and also what I need to take with me.

Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
leigho
Free member

Postby gozomark » Sat 27 Jul 2013 07:07 GMT

Its the big ministry building just off St Francis Sq - go through the arch next to Sufa the barbers, and there is a big courtyard. Not sure what you need to take other than eResidence card/passport.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby leigho » Sat 27 Jul 2013 09:40 GMT

Ok thanks :)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
leigho
Free member

Postby sarahc » Sat 27 Jul 2013 12:36 GMT

To register for NI, go to social security office, which is on the right hand side of the big courtyard ( the building as per GozoMarks post above)
Then to register for Tax, the doorway is just done the road from the Polyclinic, down from Francis sq. go to the first floor.

You will also need to register at ETC that you are self employed if you haven't already done so.
Posted by:
sarahc
Free member

Postby leigho » Sat 27 Jul 2013 18:24 GMT

I am earning so little I am not impressed at all to be honest
Posted by:
leigho
Free member

Postby Rico29 » Mon 4 Nov 2013 23:07 GMT

Hello Leigho, nice to meet you!

I was reading your posts & I will be in the same situation in a couple of months when I will move to Malta as I decided to do so in early 2014 - did you solve the issue with the Tax registration and NI contribution?

Please let me know as I would need to do the same steps, thanks a million

Riccardo
Posted by:
Rico29

Postby sarahc » Tue 5 Nov 2013 06:55 GMT

One thing about NI that I hadn't first known about is that a mother who works part time can get a form (I got it when I registered for tax) and you pay less NI rather than €27..... A week.
I too don't earn a lot and this form has helped a lot. Off the top of my head I think you pay 15% of your salary based on your tax return.
Posted by:
sarahc
Free member

Return to Working in Malta