It is currently Mon 19 Aug 2019 04:18 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Working in Malta

Has anyone opened a retail shop in Malta?

What are the rules post-EU accession? What is the likely demand for your services? NO ADVERTISING - adverts belong in our classifieds section. Ads, self-promotion etc will be deleted.

Has anyone opened a retail shop in Malta?

Postby maxine » Sat 23 Nov 2013 09:11 GMT

We are looking at opening a small retail shop in Malta and looking for advice on permits, red tape, regulations etc.

Has anyone any experience of the process and what is needed?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
maxine
Free member

Postby leigho » Tue 26 Nov 2013 07:23 GMT

Same here need to apply for class 4 licence and no idea had to do this, even the landlord of the shop cannot help !!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
leigho
Free member

Postby gozomark » Tue 26 Nov 2013 08:08 GMT

There is a government funded group that assists in setting up businesses

www.businessfirst.com.mt/en/
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby maxine » Tue 26 Nov 2013 09:14 GMT

Thanks Mark

That seems like a great place to start. I was told that if we have a Class 4 permit then we can also serve snacks and coffee which would supplement the income. It's a challenge throwing all your savings into a new venture in a new country so every possible revenue stream is being explored LOL
Posted by:
maxine
Free member

Postby leigho » Mon 9 Dec 2013 12:30 GMT

Hi Maxine

Did you get sorted with a shop? We have twice now been let down by the landlords....tried to pm you but it does not allow. Anyway it would be good to hear how you got on :)
Posted by:
leigho
Free member

Postby maxine » Mon 9 Dec 2013 14:04 GMT

Hi

Yes, we are sorted with the shop - we have rented the glass fronted 1st floor shop (114sqm) above Jevons supermarket in Mellieha on a 3 year lease. It is going to be primarily a photographic Art gallery and already has a Class 4 permit that we just need to submit a 'Notification' for. I had intended printing and framing on the premises but I have put a deal together with an outfit in Malta that can do it and will give me multiple framing options and sizes at wholesale prices.
We will also be doing some local craft products - crystal decorated footwear, jewellery and quilts - as soon as we told people about what we were doing they came out of the woodwork wanting us to sell their wares :)

Anyway, the next step is to get the ID cards - we need that so we can get power on in our name and you need it for VAT registration too. So we are in Valetta on Wednesday to get it sorted and at least underway.

The people at Business First are extremely helpful and their web site is the best place to read what is needed in a step by step format - plus you can send them the completed forms and they submit them for you. Just sent off my request for a Social Security Number so that I can then register with the Inland Revenue for a Tax number.

So far the only thing holding us up a bit is getting the bank account sorted - I think we might have to be a cash only shop until they give us the account and merchant account for credit cards - hope that doesn't take too long.

So all progressing but it's quite a hill to climb to understand everything and what order to do it all in.
Posted by:
maxine
Free member

Postby SandT » Mon 9 Dec 2013 18:43 GMT

I have just tried to PM you, Maxine, but realised you are not a premium member! I have two friends who are artists with a studio in Valletta. They sell prints of their paintings in the more "up-market" venues. Would you be interested?

We will be in the shop for Noah's Ark tomorrow and Wednesday mornings if you pop in!
Sheelagh
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
SandT
Supporter

Postby maxine » Mon 9 Dec 2013 20:21 GMT

Thanks Sheelagh - I might be interested, but I am slammed this week unfortunately as we are flying back to the UK on Thursday am and I have to get to Valletta to submit the SSN/ETC/ID/VAT etc paperwork LOL

At the moment I am concentrating on a middle of the road price point as everyone is telling me that the previous business tried to be too 'up market' pricewise but there is no harm in having a discussion to see if there is any mutual ground.

As soon as we get back from the UK then I'll be in touch again.
Posted by:
maxine
Free member

Postby SandT » Mon 9 Dec 2013 20:39 GMT

Your research about that shop is correct. Our friends' prints are excellent quality at extremely good prices - not inflated. Both have had exhibitions so are starting to be known. They just don't place them in "souvenir" type shops.

Speak later, though we'll be away week after next (we hope!).
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
SandT
Supporter

Postby maxine » Mon 9 Dec 2013 20:55 GMT

Sounds interesting - thanks!

We are back Jan 8th so good luck with the trip and have a very Merry Christmas and New Year!
Posted by:
maxine
Free member

Postby leigho » Tue 10 Dec 2013 10:02 GMT

Good luck pleased you found somewhere :)
Posted by:
leigho
Free member

Postby Coral » Sat 28 Dec 2013 18:12 GMT

Hi Maxine. We are opening a very similar venture on Gozo. Perhaps you can message me when you are back in town and we could get together for a drink and a chat? Happy New Year.
Posted by:
Coral
Free member

Postby maxine » Sat 28 Dec 2013 18:16 GMT

Hi Coral - sounds like a great idea - heading to the Euro Tunnel tomorrow - so chat soon.
Posted by:
maxine
Free member

Retail Shops

Postby leigho » Tue 31 Dec 2013 11:07 GMT

Can I just ask is it usual for landlords to want so much money up front for retail premises - ie 3 months rent, plus large utilities deposit?
Posted by:
leigho
Free member

Postby JJ » Wed 1 Jan 2014 11:52 GMT

No, a month is normal. Beyond that you'd want to get it written into the contract how long they can take to return it and whose responsibility it is to get the final bills etc. I fell for the three months line for my first place and it took me 18 months to get the money back.
Posted by:
JJ

Next

Return to Working in Malta