It is currently Fri 13 Dec 2019 20:28 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Working in Malta

Working Visa for American

What are the rules post-EU accession? What is the likely demand for your services? NO ADVERTISING - adverts belong in our classifieds section. Ads, self-promotion etc will be deleted.

Working Visa for American

Postby AnnMandy » Tue 26 Nov 2013 09:41 GMT

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips or direct me towards a good website, to help a daughter of a friend of mine navigate her way through the process of gaining a working visa for Malta. Only for a couple of months or so?

I am not there yet myself, and besides, the process is of course very different for those outside the EU.

I know this is a forum for Brits, but thought that maybe some of you might have friends out there from the States, who could offer a few pearls of wisdom, gained through experience?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
AnnMandy
Free member

Postby gozomark » Tue 26 Nov 2013 10:16 GMT

This forum is for all nationalities :-) as a non EU national, they will find it very difficult to get a work permit. They can come for up to 3 months as a tourist, but are not allowed to work
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby maxine » Tue 26 Nov 2013 19:22 GMT

I can tell you all about trying to get a Work Visa for the USA but not the other way round - however if it's as bad as it is getting a USA work visa then I think the chances are pretty much zero.

There are schemes in Australia for young people to get a limited work visa but nothing similar here. And the penalties getting caught working for both the employer and employee are such that no employer would consider it these days.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
maxine
Free member

Postby AnnMandy » Thu 28 Nov 2013 14:17 GMT

Thanks both of you.

O Lord, Mark, I didn't think it was that hopeless! :shock: (I don't think they did either!) I imagine they would need to be sponsored by an employer to get one?

And thanks Maxine. I remember me and my daughter struggling over getting her a us visa, many years ago. She got one in the end. It was worth it but not something I would want to repeat any time soon! We used this site here then;

[Link to commercial site removed by Site Admin; please read our guidelines. - Dave]

I was hoping there might be a similar thing for the EU. :(
Posted by:
AnnMandy
Free member

Postby gozomark » Thu 28 Nov 2013 14:23 GMT

Yes, would need to find an employer willing to get a work permit for her. Even if found that, it's still not easy to get as have to show no non EU citizen wants the job and is equally qualified
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to Working in Malta