It is currently Fri 6 Dec 2019 07:52 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Working in Malta

Question about employment

What are the rules post-EU accession? What is the likely demand for your services? NO ADVERTISING - adverts belong in our classifieds section. Ads, self-promotion etc will be deleted.

Question about employment

Postby maxine » Thu 6 Feb 2014 17:00 GMT

We are just about to open a new Gallery in Malta and I am thinking of taking on our own printing and framing. In order to do that, I need to employ someone and I am thinking of asking my Brother-in-Law to move over from the UK to Malta to help out.

So the question is, can a new business employ someone (I assume the answer is yes) and then secondly, can that employment be sufficient to enable the employee to become resident in Malta?

Is there a minimum wage that they need to earn?

Do I need to have been in business for any length of time or have published accounts etc for this to be considered legitimate?

Thanks for any advice.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
maxine
Free member

Postby gozomark » Thu 6 Feb 2014 18:29 GMT

for an EU citizen to be resident in Malta they have to have sufficient resources to live on - that can be capital or income.

"capital of at least €14,000 or a weekly income of €84.95 or, in the case of a married couple, a capital of €23,300 or a weekly income of €93.10"

So, if your BiL is single and has capital of at least €14,000, he can live here anyway.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Thu 6 Feb 2014 18:31 GMT

if he doesn't, then I assume as long as your business is registered, it can employ people, so he will have an employment contract, so as long as his weekly wage reaches the level above, then should be OK
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby maxine » Thu 6 Feb 2014 20:07 GMT

Thanks!

He doesn't have the savings so I will make sure his employment contract will be sufficient - thanks!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
maxine
Free member

Postby gozomark » Thu 6 Feb 2014 20:08 GMT

you and he have the same rights as a Maltese citizen
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to Working in Malta