It is currently Thu 12 Dec 2019 11:39 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Working in Malta

Looking to move to Malta - what are my job prospects?

What are the rules post-EU accession? What is the likely demand for your services? NO ADVERTISING - adverts belong in our classifieds section. Ads, self-promotion etc will be deleted.

Looking to move to Malta - what are my job prospects?

Postby DavidAinger1985 » Mon 10 Feb 2014 22:01 GMT

Hi Everybody,

New to this forum and I've seen lots of very useful and interesting topics so far, so I thought I'd try and garner some of the excellent knowledge of living and working in Malta I've seen and ask a few questions.

Essentially me and my girlfriend are looking into moving to Malta permanently and need more information on our job possibilities. Mainly, mine.

My girlfriend is a qualified Dental Nurse and has already been given some great tips and some useful contacts to explore her job possibilities. However I'm slightly more confused about what I could potentially do and how to go about it, owing to the fact I don't have any "qualifications" for in demand jobs in Malta. This is my working profile:

I'm 28 and have been a Sales Professional for nearly 8 years now, with quite a good degree of success. I have 4 A-Levels grade A - E and 10 GCSE's grade A - D. I have a BA Degree in Archaeology and Geography from The University of Liverpool grade 2:1. I have worked in a varied number of roles as either a Business Development Manager or a Key Account Manager. I've working selling in Software, Digital Media Solutions, Stationary (Office Depot), and Packaging Materials and Machinery.

I am seeking advice on whether or not you think I could get a good job over in Malta and what kind of package I could expect. Also, what issues I might face in getting a job. I see from various job sites that software sales people are quite in demand, however it has been at least 4 years since I have worked in either the Digital Media or Software Sales industries and I think this might be a barrier.

Any advice, hints, tips, links or even if you know of any job opportunities I might be applicable for would be absolutely fantastic.

Many thanks in advance

David
Posted by:
DavidAinger1985

Postby gozomark » Tue 11 Feb 2014 06:47 GMT

Hi David, and welcome to the forum :-) If you dont speak Maltese them you will be limited in the job opportunities. The main aread where non Maltese speakers can get jobs are things like - IT, internet gaming, call centres
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby maxine » Tue 11 Feb 2014 08:33 GMT

And any job that you can get will be extremely low paid.

If you want to make a reasonable living in Malta you have to become self-employed. Consider opening a shop where you can use your sales skills - we did :)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
maxine
Free member

Postby mjg1305 » Tue 25 Feb 2014 21:23 GMT

Good luck with the move, my partner and I want to move too.

Maxine what type of shop did you go for? Is there room for an art gallery or a reiki treatment centre?

Look forward to hearing from you

Martin
Posted by:
mjg1305

Postby maxine » Sat 1 Mar 2014 13:31 GMT

LOL, that's exactly what we opened (are opening) in Mellieha - a photographic art gallery with studio. It should have opened last week but I have an awful cold at the moment so we are hoping for Monday assuming that I can get the VAT number and have the cash register reprogrammed in time.

We looked around the area and tried to decide what was missing and then looked for what we could offer at the same time to compliment the business. The hardest part is getting people through the door so I wanted to make sure that we offered a wide range of things to satisfy as many as possible.

Rather than focus on Art which is such a subjective thing, we have gone for photography, specifically of Malta, ranging from small 10cm * 15cm frames up to 90cm*60cm prints and supply them as both fully framed as well as loose rolled up in a tube - remember that many visitors travel on budget airlines with no luggage capacity.

We are also putting some tables/chairs in so that we can offer coffees and soft drinks and will be stocking up with some pieces of Mdina glass to balance the range of what we offer. You can see that there are no real 'specialty' shops on Malta - everyone does a little bit of everything :)

At the back I have a small studio for portrait work and we will print about 75% of our stuff in the shop for a fast turnaround - something that is woefully missing with most Maltese suppliers where "in a week" usually turns out to be 2 weeks.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
maxine
Free member

Return to Working in Malta