It is currently Tue 20 Aug 2019 20:41 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Working in Malta

Setting up a brewery in Gozo

What are the rules post-EU accession? What is the likely demand for your services? NO ADVERTISING - adverts belong in our classifieds section. Ads, self-promotion etc will be deleted.

Setting up a brewery in Gozo

Postby euphony » Tue 1 Jul 2014 07:17 GMT

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some general info on how and if it's possible to set up a small microbrewery in Gozo.
First of all some background info:
My wife and I will be moving over to Gozo hopefully next year and will have enough money through rents/pensions/savings etc to not need to work. However, we are friends with a couple that are also thinking of moving to Gozo and they have recently started brewing at home and looking to expand it a little (but still stay small). As the UK market is saturated with a thousand breweries they thought an alternative would be a very small scale operation in Gozo, as I think they only have the Farsons brewery on the main island?
Their venture wouldn't strictly be for profit as they both have enough to live on as are retired. It would just be to give holiday makers some extra choice, so they would only look to provide a few bars with their brews.
I told them that they may struggle as I know Farsons have tried to do different brews, but seeing as profit isn't their goal they're not too concerned.
How would they go about setting this up over in Gozo? Any idea at all?
I really haven't got a clue myself so any hints, clues etc would be more than welcome. I know the galssbox bar in Marsalforn stock different bottled ales, so they could be a good place to speak to I guess?

Many thanks

Chris
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby Brightside » Tue 1 Jul 2014 09:35 GMT

I suggest the first step might be to contact public Heath/environmental health as what you are proposing is setting up a food producer. The legislation is basically the same as the UK in food safety issues but I am not sure how trading standards issues work over here.
I cannot see any major problems with micro brewery operations however the question is why don't Farsons have any competition?
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Brightside
Premium Member

Postby euphony » Tue 1 Jul 2014 10:22 GMT

Ok, many thanks. Yes Farsons have quite a monopoly. My friends wouldn't really be able to compete or even be trying to.
I'll start researching some contact details.
Thanks again :)
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby FOXGLOVE » Tue 1 Jul 2014 10:59 GMT

I think before investing too much your friends should produce various beers and give large quantities to expats free for a few months to see how well it goes down!

Ray

:drink: :drink: :drink:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby euphony » Tue 1 Jul 2014 11:11 GMT

:lol: I'll certainly pass on your interest :P
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby ozzy » Tue 1 Jul 2014 14:24 GMT

FOXGLOVE wrote:I think before investing too much your friends should produce various beers and give large quantities to expats free for a few months to see how well it goes down!

Ray

:drink: :drink: :drink:

i will second this statement :)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
ozzy
Free member

Postby jslee » Tue 1 Jul 2014 15:17 GMT

Count me in as a 'sampler/tester'
Posted by:
jslee
Free member

Postby Brightside » Tue 1 Jul 2014 16:32 GMT

euphony wrote:Ok, many thanks. Yes Farsons have quite a monopoly. My friends wouldn't really be able to compete or even be trying to.
I'll start researching some contact details.
Thanks again :)

At the risk stirring the wrath of site admin....you might like to check out my website although the company is in the UK I am in Gozo.
Posted by:
Brightside
Premium Member

Postby PeaCakes » Tue 1 Jul 2014 19:57 GMT

jslee wrote:Count me in as a 'sampler/tester'

Me too!.................but can't see it be it being a profitable business.
Regrettably though.
There are real ale brewers in Malta and they have a web site somewhere.
Anyone have a link..........private board though.
Posted by:
PeaCakes
Premium Member

Postby Kay » Wed 2 Jul 2014 01:43 GMT

At the risk stirring the wrath of site admin....you might like to check out my website although the company is in the UK I am in Gozo.

Wrath. LOL. As a Premium Member you are entitled to link to your site in your sig. I don't know why so few of you use that extra privilege instead of the default sig which advertises various BE offerings.

Back on topic - a microbrewery sounds great. It could be a real hit on Gozo. Good luck with the project and if you find any useful information please share it with us.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby euphony » Wed 2 Jul 2014 06:07 GMT

Thanks everyone. I'll check out that link brightside :)

So I was right to tell them it won't be profitable, so it's good that they aren't expecting that.

So a microbrewery may be a hit then? Ummm, that's interesting.

It'll be small steps and they'll probably take a while to get it fully established and grow from there. What they possibly may do is canvas opinion on what sort of brews people would like. I notice that there don't seem to be any pale ales when I've visited Malta and Gozo (bar the occassional Belgian one I've found, which are nothing like pale ales in the UK). They may go down very well in a hot climate as they may appeal to those who tend to go for lagers, while offering much more flavour and are just as refreshing. Just a thought (my thoughts, not theirs!).
Thanks again everyone, it's much appreciated :D
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby gozomark » Wed 2 Jul 2014 07:30 GMT

There are several bars in Gozo selling "proper" beers, not just Glassbox, so there is a market for it. Farsons produce a pale ale, at least thats what its called.

I'm presuming they are thinking about bottled beers, not handpump ?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby euphony » Wed 2 Jul 2014 07:37 GMT

Yes, bottled conditioned beers as I would imagine handpumps would be more difficult to keep cool during spring/summer.

The only Farsons ones I could find regularly are Bue Leaf (tasted like a very weak traditional bitter), Hopleaf (Much nicer fuller flavour, moving towards an Amber style without being properly amber) and the Milk Stout, which tasted more like a mild than a stout. I'll keep an eye out for the pale ale, any idea where you're likely to find it?

Out of interest what other bars sellbottled beers? I must have passed straight by them!

Chris
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby gozomark » Wed 2 Jul 2014 07:43 GMT

Handpumps - most bars dont have either cellar or the bar space for them either.

There is a list of the bars in recommended suppliers, as well as the supplier of "proper" beers, the one who supplies Glassbox and all the others

Hop Leaf is called a pale ale
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby euphony » Wed 2 Jul 2014 07:58 GMT

Ok, cool, many thanks Mark.

So Hopleaf is called a pale ale? Right, it's nothing like the 100's of pale ales you get over here! Interesting.

Yeah I thought as much about cellar space etc.
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Next

Return to Working in Malta