It is currently Sat 24 Aug 2019 13:09 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Working in Malta

Self-employed Freelancer- What do I need to do?

What are the rules post-EU accession? What is the likely demand for your services? NO ADVERTISING - adverts belong in our classifieds section. Ads, self-promotion etc will be deleted.

Self-employed Freelancer- What do I need to do?

Postby eliseegner » Sun 8 Mar 2015 21:54 GMT

Hi all,

My partner and I moved to Malta in October of last year and I had our daughter in December. I'm now thinking of starting work again but, after applying for several jobs in my field (marketing/content writing) and seeing how bad the remuneration is, I'm thinking that Freelancing might be the way to go.

Trouble is- it'll be the first time I've gone down this route and I'm not sure how I go about setting up as self-employed here in Malta and whether this will be different as a Freelancer? If someone could possibly advise or point me in the right direction if I've missed a post on this elsewhere that would be hugely appreciated.

I've contacted Malta Enterprise and waiting to hear back from them also.

Many thanks
Elise
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
eliseegner
Free member

Re: Self-employed Freelancer- What do I need to do?

Postby Kay » Mon 9 Mar 2015 12:02 GMT

Will you be setting up your marketing business as a sole trader or as a company?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby eliseegner » Mon 9 Mar 2015 12:06 GMT

Hi Kay, as a sole trader I expect although I must admit I need to do some more research to establish which would best. It's only me, working from my home.

Thanks in advance.
Elise
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
eliseegner
Free member

Postby Kay » Mon 9 Mar 2015 14:16 GMT

It's not relevant that it's only you working from home. It's the legal status which matters, whether it's you working from home as a "sole trader" (ie an individual person running a business) or whether you create a limited company as a separate legal entity and you, as a director, run the business via a company. It has various implications, especially for tax.

I'm not qualified to give legal or financial advice, so you should probably seek professional help for your own personal circumstances. However, if you need some general pointers we can probably do that here, although it's worth remembering that this is a public forum which is open to anyone who cares to look.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Working in Malta