It is currently Mon 24 Jun 2019 13:24 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Benin – Quick Quiz
    Try our Quick Quiz about Benin - known as Dahomey before 1975 and one of the most powerful kingdoms of pre-colonial West Africa.

Money matters

UK Wills in Malta

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

UK Wills in Malta

Postby Alan Quigley » Sun 29 Jul 2007 11:07 GMT

My wife and I will be moving to live in Malta permanently in the Autumn. Does anybody know if a will made in the UK is equally valid in Malta, or is it advisable to make new wills locally once we have made the move?
Alan
Posted by:
Alan Quigley
Supporter

Postby wendy.bruce2 » Sat 9 Oct 2010 17:35 GMT

How strange that this question was never answered and there would appear to have been no interest in the subject since 2007!!

Mark, I tried the 'search' but it came up with very little for Wills. I have been trolling round the forum for some time now (weeks, on and off), trying to find out something about wills and legal matters generally in Malta. I can't find anything, but surely there must be masses of information on this subject somewhere in this forum?! :?
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
wendy.bruce2
Supporter

Postby wasozed » Mon 10 Jan 2011 09:16 GMT

Still no answer Wendy- simple really if you think about it- none of us have any intention of dying so why would we need a will !! Although having spent Christmas in Cheshire with Asian/swine/spanish flu- I though I was going to cark it then. However-still here- will think about wills next year.

cheers..Ed
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
wasozed
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Mon 10 Jan 2011 09:46 GMT

I'm sure I answered a very similar question recently, but can't find it

Best practice is - separate wills for both UK and Malta, or alternatively have a codicil prepared in Malta, which is (I believe) an addition to a UK will), which refers to your Maltese assets only.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Mon 10 Jan 2011 10:06 GMT

Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Malkity » Tue 8 Mar 2011 13:51 GMT

We leart today that a U.K. will may not be acceptable here in Malta.
A friend, who's husband recently passed away, has been informed that as she, and her late husband, only had a U.K. will, everything they owned in joint names does not necessarily come to her.
Her husbands son is contesting the will and may be entitled to one half of the estate instead of all going to her as willed by her husband.
The best advice would be to consult an attorney and have an additional will drawn up for assets here in Malta and possibly a separate will for assets in any other country drawn up in that country.
We will keep you updated.
A place for book readers, authors, writers, and anyone interested, to meet,share, and discuss.
http://bookread-mumswritings.blogspot.com
Posted by:
Malkity
Supporter

Postby wendy.bruce2 » Tue 8 Mar 2011 18:11 GMT

Hi Dee, so sorry to hear about your friend. You are quite right, it is important to make sure that wills etc are discussed with a notary or lawyer here, particularly if you own property in Malta.
Posted by:
wendy.bruce2
Supporter

Return to Money matters