It is currently Thu 12 Dec 2019 11:24 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Money matters

BAnk Account without being Resident

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

BAnk Account without being Resident

Postby Eggs » Tue 7 Oct 2008 08:19 GMT

Can i open a bank account in Malta without being resident?

Just thinking it might be worth getting one open for when i can eventually move over.
===================
Rob Marna Harry Zara :P
===================
Posted by:
Eggs
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Tue 7 Oct 2008 08:26 GMT

Can you open a bank account in any EU country without being resident?

Yes, but its becoming harder and harder. In the UK its close to impossible. It all depends on the individual banks policy, often in terms of how it interprets EU money laundering rules.

Best is to check with the bank you are contemplating using
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby recca » Tue 7 Oct 2008 09:10 GMT

I'm not a resident (yet) but opened a curent account with HSBC last year. It was opened in conjunction with my mortgage application though, so I don't know if that made a difference.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
recca
Free member

Postby Mr Kriss » Tue 7 Oct 2008 09:41 GMT

The Maltese banks are used to non residents with holiday homes and investments here opening accounts without being resident. They are also used to 'future residents' openeing account sin preparation for moving.

I operated an account in Malta for years before moving and taking up residency. Of course that was in different times.

I am sure that banks operating in Malta will be diligent about AML and the European Savings Directive.... won't they :?: :)
Chris :compucoffee:
Join the British Expat lending team at Kiva: http://www.kiva.org/team/britishexpatcom
Posted by:
Mr Kriss
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Tue 7 Oct 2008 09:46 GMT

they may allow you to open some types of account, and not others - I seem to recall someone on the boards recently opened a very basic current account with no cheque book or credit card attached - I presume to reduce the banks liabilities
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby recca » Tue 7 Oct 2008 10:08 GMT

My current account hs a cheque book and quikcash card, but it has no overdraft facility. The account was opened easily enough, just a reference needed from my bankers in the UK. I was then able to open a savings account connected to my current account.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
recca
Free member

Return to Money matters