It is currently Sat 24 Aug 2019 14:23 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Money matters

Confused

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Confused

Postby jodieq » Mon 22 Dec 2008 23:19 GMT

Hi I have secured a job with a bank on the island hurray and start at the end of Jan so I have a massive rush on trying to get my house rented here.

Although my question now is if my partner was to continue working for the company based in the UK but via email where would tax be payable?

Thanks Jodie
Jodie Q
Posted by:
jodieq
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Tue 23 Dec 2008 00:35 GMT

congratulations :D

as for your partner, I don't know the answer, but there are a number of issues

where would he/she be paid ?
are they an EU citizen ?

their starting point really should be with the company they work for, and if they don't know, then I'd recommend speaking to an accountant. It could well be a grey area, and your partner maybe able to choose whichever is most advantageous.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Mr Kriss » Tue 23 Dec 2008 07:42 GMT

Well done and good luck to you both.

You will need to determine domicile, residence and normal residence. There is a whole raft of info on that on the hmrc site as well as some pointers on here somewhere.

UK hmrc have tightened up a lot on residence but the basic rule is less than 183 nights in any tax year in UK and less than an average of 90 nights in UK per year over any 4 tax-year period. Even if your partner expects to be out here for that period they need to plan in case they return to UK earlier than expected.

Other factors considered are the place where duties are performed, and willingnes of employer to register with Maltese tax authorities and deduct taxes from a foreign based employee's salary to pay them over to the Maltese ITD.
Chris :compucoffee:
Join the British Expat lending team at Kiva: http://www.kiva.org/team/britishexpatcom
Posted by:
Mr Kriss
Supporter

Confused

Postby jodieq » Tue 23 Dec 2008 08:04 GMT

Thank you I can't wait but it's going to be a mad rush I have 4 weeks to sort myself out here before going I've read alot to plan a 6 months moving period.

Maybe it might be easier if my partner does graphic design on a freelance basis and register self employed in Malta is registering as self employed in Malta easy? Or would you say to forget that and find a job in Malta?

Thanks Again Jodie
Jodie Q
Posted by:
jodieq
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Tue 23 Dec 2008 08:44 GMT

I seem to remember your partner is half Maltese, and was considering taking Maltese citizenship - this could also impact matters
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to Money matters