It is currently Mon 19 Aug 2019 03:23 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Money matters

Moving from South Africa

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Moving from South Africa

Postby Darren474 » Sun 18 Jan 2009 19:05 GMT

Hi all - my family and I move to Malta in 2010. Below I have a list of expenditure applicable to our standard of living in Cape Town. Could someone (or as many folk as possible) give me an indication of what the following will cost:

Private School Fees (2 Kids 8 & 10)
School Clothes
School Activities
School Books
Birthday Gifts (Parties etc)
Clothing
Insurance
Hospital Plan/ Healthcare
Security (We need that over here - Home alarm etc)
Domestic Help
Utilities
Medical Expenditure
Satellite TV
Mobile Phone Contract
Petrol
Servicing of Cars
Dentist (Rough per month)
Doctor (Rough per month)
Food
School Outings
Entertainment

Thanks so much, in advance
Posted by:
Darren474

Postby JJ » Sun 18 Jan 2009 19:47 GMT

That's a lot to ask, so I'll kick off with the easy one. :D

Security (We need that over here - Home alarm etc)

Nothing. Ok, lock the doors when you go out and don't leave shiny things in view. With a few possible exceptions such as living in a posh villa you don't need alarms, window bars, CCTV, door reinforcements or private security. Have you decided where you'll be living?

JJ
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby gozomark » Sun 18 Jan 2009 21:38 GMT

Hi Darren, and welcome to the forum :D

the answer to most of your questions is almost impossible to answer, especially ones like "how much is food ?" - it depends, but overall Malta is for most people maybe 25% cheaper than the UK, but it depends so much on what you buy, and whether your spending patterns remain the same

many of the categories are covered elsewhere on the forum - you can use the search function to look for them eg search for petrol and this thread
http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/ ... hp?t=20610
comes up with the current price of petrol. General labourers (incl home help, gardeners, builders, car mechanics) get paid about € 3-5 per hour.

If you want a line by line answer, if you join the recommended suppliers board (£25 with 50% to Gozo SPCA) I'll go through each item for you where I can - to do it properly would take some time (and would include recommended companies where appropriate), and I'd need further info from you - what sort of house, how many of you etc etc.

As for security, if you live in Gozo even locking the doors is more than you require most of the time.

[Edited by Dave to reflect the increase in the RS joining fee, 1 Oct '09]
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Darren474 » Mon 19 Jan 2009 05:33 GMT

Thanks so much for the responses. We will certainly live in Malta but out of curiosity - how long does it take to get from Gozo to Valetta? I need to be at work at 08h30 and the kids at school even earlier.

This said, we are a family of four (Two adults and two children) - we will rent first before buying but on average, what would it cost to live per month. My sisters, both of whom live in Athens, tell me that 2000 Euro per month is more than enough yet, when I look around this board (and I thank each and everyone of you for your contributions) their assumptions don't make sense. I was thinking of around 2500 Euro all in?

We live a very good live in Cape Town where the kids go to private schools and live in a leafy suburb with everything at their disposal - I know that this will not be possible in Malta, at first but - to live on a reasonable standard (middle or upper middle income) - what would that cost, monthly?

Many thanks.
Posted by:
Darren474

Postby gozomark » Mon 19 Jan 2009 05:57 GMT

Darren - I've locked this thread because there is just too much being asked in the wrong places. For the ease of future users, we ask that questions are asked on the appropriate boards, plus alot of your questions have been answered elsewhere, atleast in part. For example there is already alot of discussion on schools and on the cost of renting. Gozo - Valletta - there is a Getting around Gozo and Malta forum
http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/ ... .php?f=121

Is 2,500 enough ? does that include rent/mortgage ?

Can you take each of your questions, search to see if already answered, and if not, ask separately, and on the most appropriate board. Please bear in mind that particular suppliers can only be asked for on the "recommended suppliers" board
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to Money matters