It is currently Sat 14 Dec 2019 09:45 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Money matters

paying bills/receiving wages in Malta with a UK euro account

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

paying bills/receiving wages in Malta with a UK euro account

Postby leo » Thu 22 Jan 2009 17:53 GMT

Good Evening Everyone,

Does anyone know/have any experience of whether it is possible to pay bills in Malta with, or have wages paid into, a euro (not sterling) bank account opened in the UK with a UK bank? Or is it that you need a bank account with a Maltese bank to do all this?

Any advice would be brill as I'm proper confused! :?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
leo
Free member

Postby gozomark » Thu 22 Jan 2009 18:03 GMT

its possible to pay some bills in Malta with a UK issued credit card - do you mean will Malta companies accept Euro cheques from a UK bank - I doubt it, unless its a large enough amount to make it worth the hastle (I bough a car here 6 years ago with a £ cheque from a UK bank, so it is possible)

as for paying wages into a UK bank - they might, but would be up to the company concerned

opening an account with a Maltese bank is fairly quick and painless
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby leo » Thu 22 Jan 2009 18:10 GMT

I was thinking of things like telephone, electricity, rent - that sort of thing - just until I was able to open a Maltese bank account - seems a bit of catch 22 really - Maltese banks want proof of address in Malta, for this you need to rent a place, for that you need a bank account.

i dont want to be waiting 2 months for a bank reference either - not until Im actually over in Malta
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
leo
Free member

Postby gozomark » Thu 22 Jan 2009 18:15 GMT

telephone and electricity you can pay online with UK credit card, or with cash at the post office.

Rent - really is up to the landlord - may well agree given how many vacancies there are, but might charge you more - all you can do is ask the landlord

some banks will open a basic account without local address
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby leo » Thu 22 Jan 2009 18:18 GMT

thanks mark - you are a legend
Posted by:
leo
Free member

Postby gozomark » Thu 22 Jan 2009 18:39 GMT

I can tell already that you are a very wise man :wink: - must be because you come from Nottingham - I spent three very happy years at Uni there

a pleasure to help :D
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Fri 23 Jan 2009 01:09 GMT

Your happiness being anything to do with Nottingham having the highest ratio of females to males in those days? (Whilst Imperial College had the lowest - bah!)
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby gozomark » Fri 23 Jan 2009 05:55 GMT

didn't make it worse :D
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Mr Kriss » Fri 23 Jan 2009 09:07 GMT

WiIth regard paying rent, if you get the bank details from your landlord and pay into his account, I doubt he will care where it comes from so long as you pay all the charges.

Speaking of charges, you may find it cheaper to make transfer to a Maltese account and then pay bills from there.
Chris :compucoffee:
Join the British Expat lending team at Kiva: http://www.kiva.org/team/britishexpatcom
Posted by:
Mr Kriss
Supporter

Postby leo » Fri 23 Jan 2009 19:26 GMT

thank you all for your advice :) Just for the record I am a Derby lad not a Nottinghamian! (hope the mighty Rams dish out a spanking to Forest tonight!)
Posted by:
leo
Free member

Opening a Maltese Bank Account

Postby Red » Sun 25 Jan 2009 14:26 GMT

Hi Leo,

I opened a Bank Account at BOV in Gozo with a UK address in November, and my parents opened one at HSBC in Gozo at the same time with a UK address.

Both banks just write to your UK bank for a reference and can keep in touch by e-mail.

I hope this helps.

Red
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Red
Supporter

Return to Money matters