It is currently Mon 23 Sep 2019 08:50 GMT
Change font size

Money matters

Dying in Malta

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Dying in Malta

Postby maltajon » Thu 12 Mar 2009 16:41 GMT

What happens?
Say he or she has no relatives here?
Who applies for a Death Certificate, and where?
Does it have to be an executor of a UK WILL if he/she had no Maltese will?
How is the body released for disposal?
I believe there is no crematorium here, so the alternative is to be buried at sea, assuming the relatives did not wish to return the body to the UK.
There is the alternative of donating your body to the State Health Service, for parts?
Most would not want to use up valuable burial ground which rightly should be retained for the Maltese people, and almost all of whom are Catholics.
Many retired people will have to deal with this sometime, and no doubt many have done so already.Can anyone advise?
The British Embassy was most unhelpful, saying it wasn't their responsibility.
I maintain it is their responsibility to have abailable the Departments to contact, with addresses and telephone numbers.
I live here on my own, and am just trying to facilitate the procedure for my UK Executors, who I shall do my utmost to outlive !!
I assume the simplest thing to do is for the UK Executors to put the whole matter in the hands of a Maltese Law Firm to handle.
However, they may be concerned that there will be nothing to share out, after the lawyers have had their pound or three of flesh !
Free member

Postby gozomark » Thu 12 Mar 2009 18:13 GMT

do you have any valuable assets here ? If so, they need to be covered by a Maltese will - my understanding is if they aren't then they are divided up according to law

http://www.sahha.gov.mt/pages.aspx?page=45

British High Commission website says exactly what they can do for you
http://ukinmalta.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for ... meone-dies

it also tells you how to register a death
http://ukinmalta.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for ... arriage-or
ie you go to Malta Public Registry
http://www.certifikati.gov.mt/?lng=en
http://www.certifikati.gov.mt/pages/downloads_en.asp
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Thu 12 Mar 2009 18:21 GMT

crematorium - correct, is none
burial at sea - I believe has to be done by Navy, and if they are busy, it won't happen
donating body - they will only take bodies up to about 3 days dead, and only if in good condition
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Thu 12 Mar 2009 18:25 GMT

your best bet is to see a notary in Malta - a 10 minute chat and you should have all the answers - shouldn't cost much, might even be free
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Thu 12 Mar 2009 18:39 GMT

information about making a will - see page 4
http://www.spca-gozo.org/GOZO%20SPCA%20 ... 20Pack.pdf
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby maltajon » Thu 12 Mar 2009 19:23 GMT

Wow!! Gozomark, you are a mine of good information !! Thank you !!
Judging by your number of posts, there are many who have been grateful for your knowledge and your willingness to share it.
I found the Embassy abrupt and unhelpful. However, when I followed it up they did send me brochures of exactly how the Embassy or Consuate could help.
Had they responded with a reply such as yours, it would have been sufficient.
Thanks again.I must remember to give the State a call within 3 days of my departure, as I have decided they should dispose of my earthly carriage!!
Saves a lot of bother, and who knows, there may be some useful bits for them to recycle.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
maltajon
Free member

Postby gozomark » Fri 13 Mar 2009 07:34 GMT

Pleaure - I heard of bodies being rejected due to not being in good nick, or due to delays (eg over public holidays) so a backup plan is sensible
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Dying in Malta

Postby maltajon » Sat 14 Mar 2009 20:02 GMT

Guess it's best to check in to a hospital, and say "Take me, I'm yours", if you think the end of this life is nigh? Irony is, they will probably say , "sorry we are full."
Many will remember Alistair Cooke our man in Washington, who wrote "Letter from Ameica" for so many years.
When he departed well past 90, the thieves stole his body for parts !!
I imagine he was amused. The final chapter in American consumerism and enterpreneurship.
It was said the sum total of the body parts can be as high as $250,000 to the hospital. Maybe a tenth of that on the illicit Body Market !!
"Pssst I gotta an arm, in good condition.
Make me an offer before it goes offer".
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
maltajon
Free member

dying in malta

Postby celiasymonds » Tue 31 Mar 2009 11:25 GMT

I live in southern spain & have a prepaid funeral plan.[Company names removed - Dave](both UK companies)offer much the same service i.e.you can elect another EU country + UK & they take care of everything.It only requires one telephone call,perhaps from a friend,relative or police(whoever finds you I imagine!!)& they take over.Very helpful when there is a language problem.However it is mostly concerned with cremation,burial is dearer.This was a problem at one time in Spain but now resolved due to other nationalities wanting a cremation service.
Posted by:
celiasymonds
Free member

Dying in Malta

Postby maltajon » Tue 31 Mar 2009 13:30 GMT

Thanks Celia, for your helpful reply. Unfortunately in Malta there is no crematorium. They thought about it a few years back,
but someone said it reminded them too much of the Nazi solution !!
Being strictly a Catholic country, they need to be buried.
I hope they can use any parts, and put the rest in the hospital incinerator.
It's not me. It's just a skin I have got rid of, like a snake does in the spring.
I will be long gone to fresher pastures, and won't need a cumbersome arthritic body to get me around !!
Posted by:
maltajon
Free member

Postby gozomark » Tue 31 Mar 2009 21:55 GMT

The Catholic church is no longer against cremation - a couple (of sites) have been rejected on planning grounds, but hopefully a suitable site will be found
Last edited by gozomark on Wed 1 Apr 2009 20:58 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Dying in Malta

Postby maltajon » Wed 1 Apr 2009 20:56 GMT

Thank you Gozomark. I presiume you meant a couple of sites for a crematorium had been rejected. not a couple of cremations!!
Posted by:
maltajon
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 1 Apr 2009 20:57 GMT

:D - correction applied
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Dying in Malta

Postby maltajon » Wed 1 Apr 2009 21:00 GMT

Nice teeth you have, Gozomark, from the nearby Republic.
Posted by:
maltajon
Free member

Postby wendy.bruce2 » Sat 9 Oct 2010 12:05 GMT

Just a follow up to the forgoing. We arrived in Malta six months ago and one of the first things I did was to look into funeral arrangements, as both my husband and I object to being buried. I made contact with a very helpful Maltese undertaker and he said we could be buried at sea (he didn't mention the Maltese Navy - that would be cool, given my Naval background!!). He said for those who wanted to be cremated they would make arrangements for the bodies to be flown back to UK (because that what most British expats want) and they look after all the arrangements and they do have a pre-paid plan. I had intended to follow-up with him, but my husband went into hospital and when I raised the question again (after he had come out of hospital!!) he didn't want to discuss it at that time. This thread has brought it back to mind and I must get in contact with the undertaker again to get the full info. 8)
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
wendy.bruce2
Supporter

Next

Return to Money matters