It is currently Thu 20 Jun 2019 03:23 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Benin – Quick Quiz
    Try our Quick Quiz about Benin - known as Dahomey before 1975 and one of the most powerful kingdoms of pre-colonial West Africa.

Money matters

Dying in Malta

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Postby Francis Barnet » Mon 7 Mar 2011 11:34 GMT

Stuart
Sorry I've no idea what happened to the ashes
I have lost contact with my pal now

I know that the deceased wife came from Liverpool England

Frank
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Francis Barnet
Supporter

Postby wendy.bruce2 » Mon 7 Mar 2011 17:58 GMT

I found this on the internet, and it seems to be a recurring theme.

"Yes, a Roman Catholic can be cremated. Yes, you can still have a funeral mass.

There are rules about cremation though. The ashes cannot be scattered and they must be buried. They can't sit on someones living room shelf. The ashes must be treated with all the reverence of the body.".
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
wendy.bruce2
Supporter

Postby Francis Barnet » Mon 7 Mar 2011 21:03 GMT

Didn't realise that ashes are to be buried

I've left instructions for my ashes to be split 50/50
Half spread on the hill overlooking Xemxija Malta, the other half to be cast into the wind on Great Orme North Wales

Frank
Posted by:
Francis Barnet
Supporter

Postby wendy.bruce2 » Tue 8 Mar 2011 18:07 GMT

It applies only to Roman Catholics, as far as I know. It is based on the belief that we will all be made whole on the day of judgement (as far as I can make out) and therefore our bodies should be kept in one piece as far as possible. However, the Vatican have decided that cremation is now allowed, but the Church feels that the remains should still be regarded as a body and treated with due reverence, hence the requirement to bury the ashes. I must make it clear that I don't know this for sure, it is the result of research on the internet. Quite why Malta doesn't allow cremation is a bit of a mystery, especially considering the lack of space for burial here.
Posted by:
wendy.bruce2
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Tue 8 Mar 2011 18:10 GMT

Malta does allow cremation, its just that a crematorium hasn't been built
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby stuartd1 » Wed 9 Mar 2011 05:08 GMT

The ashes cannot be scattered and they must be buried.

What does the church say about scattering the ashes at sea?

And what does
all the reverence of the body

mean?

The reverence I've treated my body with over the years, particularly my younger ones, would probably have me excommunicated anyway :roll:

Anyway, I see a new business opportunity here, biodegradable ashes urns, suitable for both land and sea :!:
Regards,Stuartd1
Posted by:
stuartd1
Supporter

Postby wendy.bruce2 » Wed 9 Mar 2011 06:51 GMT

As far as I can make out, the ruling applies to scattering ashes at sea, so that leaves a bit of a hole in your biodegrable urns business!! The reverence is due to your dead body Stuart, what you do with your living body is entirely up to you!! :lol:
Posted by:
wendy.bruce2
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Wed 9 Mar 2011 06:54 GMT

wendy.bruce2 wrote:and therefore our bodies should be kept in one piece as far as possible.

Does that mean the church is against organ donation ?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby wendy.bruce2 » Wed 9 Mar 2011 06:57 GMT

Good question Mark, I shall have to do some more research!! :?
Posted by:
wendy.bruce2
Supporter

Postby wendy.bruce2 » Wed 9 Mar 2011 11:02 GMT

Once again, I have to say I have no idea if this is correct as it has come off the internet. It would seem that the Catholic Church is in favour of organ donation, but as you will see from the quote below, there are some questions being raised over when death actually occurs. Basically, Mark, a can of worms!!

"Generally speaking, yes. There are a few points worth noting. They may seem like common sense to you and me, but some people might be confused about these points:

- Donation of organs is considered a work of charity and mercy

- Living persons cannot donate vital organs (as that would be a form of murder or suicide -- even if it's meant to save someone else)

- Recently, there has been controversy about harvesting organs from people who are nearly or recently deceased such that it's not clear whether they're *actually* dead. Sometimes determining "death" is complicated (such as brain death, vegitative state, etc). So much of the Church's recent writings on the subject focus around this particular issue.

If there is no doubt about whether someone is dead, then there is no controversy at all about donating organs.
Source(s):
http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/l…"
Posted by:
wendy.bruce2
Supporter

Postby Penury » Wed 9 Mar 2011 11:05 GMT

if I may add to this

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articl ... e0019.html

Issue:
What is the position of the Catholic Church on organ donation for the purpose of transplant? What moral principles are involved? What would motivate one to be an organ donor?

Response:

Pope John Paul II sums up the position of the Church in these words:

[T]he Gospel of life is to be celebrated above all in daily living, which should be filled with self-giving love for others. . . . Over and above such outstanding moments, there is an everyday heroism, made up of gestures of sharing, big or small, which build up an authentic culture of life. A particularly praiseworthy example of such gestures is the donation of organs, performed in an ethically acceptable manner, with a view to offering a chance of health and even of life itself to the sick who sometimes have no other hope (Evangelium Vitae, no. 86, original emphasis).
Posted by:
Penury
Supporter

Postby wendy.bruce2 » Wed 9 Mar 2011 18:14 GMT

Yes, it would appear that the Catholic Church is very much in favour of organ donation and evidently the Pope has encouraged it.
Posted by:
wendy.bruce2
Supporter

Dying In Malta

Postby gozotask » Thu 14 Apr 2011 13:36 GMT

I have recently received information on repatriation from Malta to the UK and on burial at sea that may be of interest.

Firstly I asked about Sicily and cremation, the response was as follows ;

“Cremation in Sicily is possible but not recommended.
We have a special rate for freight to London and our contacts in the UK are much more reliable. There is also a lot of red tape involved when it comes to Sicily which pushes costs up to match the cost of cremation in the UK.”

Two quotes,

“Further to yesterday’s email, the cost for cremation in the UK currently costs in the region of 5,500 euro +/- 5% all inclusive.
A burial at sea costs around 2,300 euro +/- 5%.
Unless a prepaid funeral plan is secured, the above costs are valid for 90 days and are subject to change depending on taxes, fuel costs, airline / boat charter, UK Charges etc....
Above quotes are based on the assumption that death occurs at Mater Dei or St James hospital in Malta.
Should the death occur on the island of Gozo, additional charges amounting to approx. 375 euro +/- 10% will apply for bringing the body to the local mortuary.
All standard required services and taxes to carry out a cremation and/or burial at sea is included in the above quotes.
Charges do not include optional services such as church service, flowers, death notices, accompanying cars, attendance at the crematorium etc...
If you wish to receive a detailed and itemised quotation for cremation or burial at sea please let me know which service interests you the most and we will be pleased to send you an official, itemised quotation.
Kindly note that if you wish to purchase a prepaid funeral plan, we could organise a meeting to discuss your wishes in detail, work up an all inclusive costing and notarise the agreement. This would secure the quoted price for a number of years and then only minor adjustments would have to be done to reflect changes in cost of living and fuel prices."
Posted by:
gozotask
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 14 Apr 2011 13:40 GMT

welcome to the forum, and thank you on behalf of the animals at Gozo SPCA for subscribing :-)

Great first post !
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Thu 14 Apr 2011 14:12 GMT

Welcome and thank you from me too.

I see you joined quite a while ago, before we had all the extras for supporters and premium members. Please have a look at the premium content. You can get extra info in there or just join in the banter. I hope you'll make the most of it. 8)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Money matters